•T W E N T Y - T W O•

♪ Obsessed depressed at the same timeI can't even walk in a straight line ♪{Maroon 5—Just A Feeling}

I can't even walk in a straight line ♪
{Maroon 5—Just A Feeling}

Instead of obeying her deepest gut feelings—mind her own business, continue with classes and solitary evenings and less-than-peaceful slumber—Harriet chose to venture out and investigate.

The first few nights she spent plotting, cruising the dorm halls. Lurking in gloomy corners and spying, she found Constance plodded out once, stopped before Harriet's door, muttered to herself, lifted her knuckles to knock—then lost her courage and disappeared. And Céleste snuck out, her book in her grasp, her steps light as she hopped down the stairs. Harriet followed her, unsurprised to see her slip into the Library.

Good... no one will interrupt me.

She kept watch for a week, tracking habits. On Friday and Saturday evenings, due to not having classes the next day, the girls stayed up later. Some played card games in the Parlor, like Esther and Cristina, and it pinched at her gut, but she bit her tongue. A few gossiped over late-night tea in the Dining Room. And she caught Hermione dancing alone in the Ballroom, unsure where Charlotte and Julia were.

Those nights allowed the students a moment of respite, a few extra hours to unwind before confinement in their rooms. Lights out, as Sir Knowles called it, was between eight and nine o'clock on weekdays, and ten to eleven on weekends.

Which meant Harriet would have to conduct her investigation during the week; and she hoped it wouldn't affect her studies.

The following Monday, after laborious hours of Sciences and Geography and Etiquette, she feigned locking herself in for the night. But she remained by the door, listening to others complain and banter as they entered their rooms.

"... and she is sulking about a lot, no?" Charlotte's voice; unfiltered and unpretty, since no professors were around to hear her. "Have you noticed?"

A mousy tone responded—Julia. "Sort of. But I do not want to notice her. And I thought you did not, either?"

The voices grew distant, but she caught the tail end of the discussion, "... and no, I do not, but she is acting odder than usual. It started when Bristol stopped talking to her. Should we befriend her? She and that Condello girl have grown close, I dislike it..."

Doors slammed and silence swaddled the hallway once more.

Harriet waited a few more minutes and checked the battered clock above her vanity.

Nine. It is risky, but... I must.

Shrugging a flimsy shawl over her dress, she prayed she wouldn't make noise as she hurried about. She slithered into the obscure corridor to discover most of the sconces extinguished. She sent a wary glance at the other Senior doors, then another towards the hall ahead, leading her to the stairs. Tiptoeing, she glided to the steps and lept down, light on her feet, graceful as a feline.