47

You walked inside. It was warmer here. Mr. Gold stayed close to you, so close that you could feel his chest almost touching your back. Something was about to happen. You had no idea what it was, but it was something. And you had a feeling it would bring about an extreme change in your quiet life. 

You hoped it would be a good change. 

There was a young woman in front of you, with a red leather jacket and long blonde hair. Mr. Gold's eyes were fixed on her. 

An older woman was yelling at a girl dressed in red. "You're out all night, and now you're going out again!" 

"I should've moved to Boston!" the girl snapped back. 

"I'm sorry that my heart attack interfered with your plans to sleep your way down the Eastern Seaboard," the older woman said sarcastically. 

You didn't think that this was a conversation for you to hear. You started to get a sinking feeling in your stomach. 

"Excuse me?" You looked to the woman in the red leather jacket. She was trying to talk to the two bickering women in front of you. "I'd like a room." 

"Really?" The older woman didn't seem to believe her. Wasn't this a bed and breakfast? 

Your heart felt like it was falling through your chest. Why were you here? 

Mr. Gold walked a bit further into the place, easing you along with him. 

"Would you like a forest view or a square view?" the woman asked, stepping quickly behind the check-in counter. She grabbed an old-looking book from the small nook behind her. "Normally there's an upgrade fee for the square, but as rent is due I'll waive it." 

"Square is fine," the girl in red leather replied. 

"Now, what's the name?" 

"Swan. Emma Swan."