2. Born Again

-Dante-

-Dante-

The next few days felt like an eternity. I wasn't even sure if they were days or mere minutes. I was falling in and out of consciousness, barely aware of what was going on around me. Bernard and his fellow scientists were all over me, drawing my blood like hungry leeches, leaving me shaky, weak, cold, and in pain.

What made things worse was Lena. She had decided to keep a closer eye on me, so I was forced to see her every time I was taken out of my cell. Whenever she came to see me, it was like she didn't even know me; like those three years of marriage never happened. We were even trying to have kids when we were married, for crying out loud! How could she look at me with such a severe lack of emotions in her eyes? I thought... I thought...

I guess I was never important to her. And to think I once loved that woman.

Suddenly, I heard a loud bang outside my cell. The noise hurt my ears more than usual, so I lifted my head to see the hallway. Three heavily armed men ran past my door, and in seconds, the whole holding area was filled with screaming and yelling. From my dark corner, I couldn't see what was happening, but the sounds were more than enough to paint the picture.

Someone finally snapped.

It was the vampire girl... I could hear her fighting for her life with the little strength she had left. I wanted to help her, but I couldn't even get up on my knees. The only thing I could do was hope she would finally get what we all were praying for: freedom – or death.

She let out a dreadful growl, and one of the humans yelled in agony, but it quickly turned into a furious line of curse words.

"She's got my card!"

"Idiots! Stop it!"

For a brief second, I could feel hope rising inside me, but it happened purely out of desperation – we all knew painfully well that there was no way out of this place. It didn't take me longer than a second or two to remember we had no hope.

I heard her light footsteps coming closer only a second before I could see her, the keycard in her hand. Then... they opened fire. She fell right in front of me, holding onto the card like she really thought she had a chance to reach the door. I stared at her painful expression. I watched it turn into a fearful one. Bullets didn't kill her, and it seemed like she had forgotten about that until now.

"Fucking bitch...!" someone muttered in anger as the men came closer. "You'll regret that..."

She started crying when two of them grabbed her, pulling her up from the floor. I stared at the crimson-red spot she left behind. It would've been much better for her is she had lost her life, but she was cursed to live forever.

A pair of sturdy boots blocked my view. I lifted my tired eyes to see Killian smirking down at me, holstering his gun.

"You want to be next, mutt?" he asked.