xxii. BACK TO THE FUTURE

yesterday: chapter twenty two

[ 1985. July ]

WHATEVER IT WAS IN THOSE INJECTIONS, MARY-JANE SURE CAN'T FEEL ANY EFFECT. The injection itself hurt like a bitch, but she feels completely calm. Maybe that's a part of the process, maybe a decreased heart rate comes right before agonizing pain. "Honestly I don't really feel anything," Steve says groggily, "do you?"

          "I feel... fine. Normal. It's weird." She replies, blinking a few times. Her vision is the same, every sense seems to be the same. She feels all too normal, this is strange.

          "Yeah, I feel— I feel fine. I kinda feel good."

          "This is some strange shit. Drugs, probably. I've never been on drugs." She shakes her head, feeling a smile creep up on her lips.

           "Me neither." Steve lets out a laugh.

           "Can you believe that the first time we're on drugs is in a secret Russian base, hideout, evil lair?" Mary-Jane laughs at the sheer stupidity of this situation. It seems like the injection has indeed kicked in, but she feels good. She feels carefree.

            "They messed up the drug, morons." Steve chuckles.

            "I feel good." She realizes. "They messed up the drug."

            "Morons!" Steve shouts.

            "Hey morons!"

            "Morons."

            They shout repeatedly, laughing like a bunch of idiots until the door opens the doctor and the same Russian man, leader, whatever he is, returns with a bag of tools. Mary-Jane watches as he pulls out some seriously evil looking tools, clippers, a knife, even. She chuckles awkwardly. "I really don't like doctors." She shakes her head.

            "Let's try this again, yes?" The man towers over Steve. He hums in agreement. "Who do you work for?"

            "Scoops. Scoops ahoy." He giggles.

            "How did you find us?"

           "Totally by accident." Steve says, and it's sort of the truth, really.

            He says something in Russian and the doctor nods, grabbing a large pair of sharp pliers. He walks over to Steve. "What is that shiny little toy?" Steve asks, rather amused until the doctor grabs his hand. "Whoa, whoa, hey hey. Wait! No! Wait! Wait!" Steve tries to pull his hand back as the doctor places the pliers around one of his fingernails.

           "There was a code! We heard a code!" Mary-Jane shouts frantically and the doctor stops.

          "Code. What code?" The man walks over to her with his hand behind his back.