A Splash of Grey

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, not me. All characters and plot that are in her books are hers.

AN: This is a Hermione is in Slytherin story. Please read and review!

CHAPTER TWO

A SPLASH OF GREY

"You're a Black?" Tracy asked, borderline sputtering.

Hermione frowned, keeping up the plot.

"I haven't quite figured out who that is, yet." She said, creating an air of confusion, "But yes. I am a Black."

The table was still very silent.

"You do look like Bellatrix Lestrange." Theodore Nott commented softly. Hermione remembered the picture of the frankly insane woman and for one moment felt a flash of doubt - did she really want to be known as related to her? - but she remembered Pansy's comments and she let her doubts die.

"Her hair has that similar... eccentricity, doesn't it?" Blaise Zabini commented casually, his "I'm cool" mask back on full power after it slipped when Hermione had uttered "her father's" name - as everyone's had. That had felt really good, actually. Seeing all of "her betters" stunned by what her cunning had produced? That was amazing.

"It looks like Sirius Black's as well." Daphne put in, looking less cold now that her friend wasn't being grilled in her heritage, "It's practically the same color."

"Would someone please inform me as to who Sirius Black is?" Hermione asked, trying her hardest to look innocent.

"Sirius Black was part of a very prestigious pureblood family - the same one my mother came from." Draco finally put in, "He was caught betraying James and Lily Potter."

Hermione has already read that, so she wasn't as surprised as she should have been.

"So he was a Death Eater?" Hermione asked, attempting so sound interested and perhaps overdoing it a bit. All of the Slytherin's eyes widened a bit.

"Yes." Draco replied, "He's in prison, now."

Hermione sagged.

"Oh." She said, "I thought that maybe I could have a family again-"

Mistake. That was a big mistake. But also, it was one of the best things Hermione could have said.

"You do have one." Draco replied, his voice suddenly strong, "We're a sort of cousins. I will write to my parents right away. I'm sure that they won't allow a Black to be raised by muggles any longer. Hopefully, you'll never see them again."

Never see her parents again? Hermione suddenly felt as if she was pulled under a bucket of suffocating water. Yes, her story had helped her so far, but now that the cost was apparent... was it worth it?

Hermione's mind traveled back to a time not so long ago. She had just closed the door after Professor McGonagall had visited and informed Hermione and her family that she was a witch. Hermione has walked into the family room and found her parents staring at her with wide eyes.

"Mum? Dad?" Hermione asked nervously. They simply stared for a long thirty seconds that seemed like an eternity. And then?

"Go up to your room." Her father said. He probably didn't mean it to sound harsh, but it did.

"But-"

"Go."

They had said one word to her since. Goodbye.

"Oh, Draco - may I call you Draco? - thank you ever so much." Hermione replied, a smile fixing on her face, "I never thought that I would get away... I could only hope..."

Hermione told herself that she'd see her parents again. Told herself that she wasn't accepting her new, false life that could give her everything. But deep down, she knew.

There was a splash of grey tainting her soul.

Dear Mother and Father,

There is a first year who was sorted into Slytherin that would capture your interest. Her name as they sorted her is Hermione Granger, but she claims to only be adopted by muggles. She figured out who her father really is right before she left; Sirius Black. She didn't know who he was - or any other Blacks. We informed her. I know that you would say that she's lying, father, but no mudblood could act so well. She truly had no idea of her heritage. She loathed her muggle foster parents as well. She has very good manners for a muggle-raises. She looks an awful lot like Aunt Bella, though. Daphne Greengrass claims that she also looks like Sirius Black.

I took the liberty of explaining to Hermione Black who her relatives were. She seemed quite interested when the ranks came up in discussion... After that, I told her that we were some of her relatives. I was wondering if we could take her in, Mother and Father. Before I knew who she was, I spotted her on the train. She was in a compartment by herself attempting to levitate her trunk. It only hovered a few inches off the ground, but that is more than you have taught me to do. I suspect her magical prowess is great, and raising an orphaned Black could do a lot for our reputation...

From your son,

Draco

Watch her and report.