4 | confessions

" secrets et histoires "

somehow little lies and hidden secrets never stay hidden. the truth comes out whether you want it to or not. not only speaking for mike's current situation, but in general. everything you do has consequences, good or bad. stars shine, from a distance to remind us of our sins, losses, failures. but also love, family, happiness. not everything is as bad as it seems to be. though, mike's situation seems pretty horrible at the moment.

"YOU AND MAX HAD SEX? LIKE, FOR REAL?" the curly haired boy almost yelled over silence. they sat in the back of the library, at a small table near a wall full of windows. while mike spilled out confessions one by one to one of his very best friends.

"SHH- be quiet!" mike whisper-yelled at dustin. "you can tell lucas, okay? or will, i don't want him to freak out and tell jane. and i want to tell her myself." mike explained. normally, mike would probably be spilling his guts to will, because he's supportive and genuine. but not this. this was too serious, he needed to figure out a way to handle it first. will, being very considerate, but not in mike's perspective would tell his step sister everything and it would be a bigger mess then it already is.

"so? do you like her now? are you going to break up with jane? what is going on?" the boy asked question after question. but in all honesty, mike didn't even know. he didn't understand what he was feeling. since he was 13 he was always taught to stay loyal to the ones he loved, to care and to appreciate them. but he just doesn't know anymore. does he love jane? after everything they've been through? he fell in love with her at such a young age, they're not the same people they were when they were 13. they're not kids anymore.

"well, jane's going to break up with me anyways, after she fines out i slept with max only to get back at her." he took a breath, "i don't know what i feel, okay?" dustin nodded.

"well i wont tell anyone, but i think you should." dustin said. mike thought about it, why did he hate max so much in the past? other than her rebellious ways, which actually kind of intrigued him now.

"like who?"

"like lucas. i mean, she was his girlfriend for the longest time. you can't keep something like this from him." dustin said, mike noted that he had a point. but he couldn't, not now. he wouldn't even know what to say. he didn't have much time to think about it all, he was stressing himself out.

on the other hand, max was just waking up from a four hour nap. she doesn't sleep that much at night, she spends too much time staring up at her ceiling. trying to organize her thoughts. she wasn't helpless. just overtired.

max got on her feet to wonder into the wheeler's kitchen, only to grab some water. she doesn't eat much, she doesn't want to be a bother to their household. she also didn't really like to eat meat all that much. she'd always wish to become vegan but her parents would never approve of buying specific food for her.

while in the kitchen, she happen to see nancy, studying at the kitchen table with a box of cookies in front of her.

"hey." the ginger greeted the older girl. nancy was barely home, she was in collage and only come's home on the weekends.

"hey, max. what's up?" the girls didn't have much time to catch up, really.

"i'm okay, where's mike?" she asked, stemming from curiosity. she took note that he wasn't home due to the fact she actually slept in instead of getting interrupted by his annoying ass music.

"at the library still i think, why?"

"just wondering." max replied, while swiftly snatching an apple out of a bowl on the counter. and taking a bit into it.

"do you have a thing for my brother or something?" nancy asked with a teasing smile. max almost choked on her apple. she wanted to laugh at the joke, but was it really a joke? was she really into him?

"he's dating jane." she said, awkwardly. she honestly rather not thinking of the couple.

"so? i heard you two, don't play dumb." max actually choked at her words, but quickly covered it but with a hard cough. panic ran through her body, what had she heard, she wasn't home when they had sex, right?

"what did you hear?" max asked, she wasn't sure if she really wanted to hear her answer.

"your french lesson, obviously. you two were totally flirting." max's body relaxed, as the panic and anxiety left her body.

"we weren't flirting."

"whatever you say, chérie." nancy said, mocking her french lesson with mike. max only shook her head, leaving the room with a bottled water in one hand and a now, almost half eaten apple in the other.

now, mike stood in front of his girlfriend. trying to explain everything to her. how he's lost interest in their relationship, and that he had sex with max to get back at her for cheating on him.

"i just think, our relationship is becoming toxic. and i'm unhappy, and i'm not sure you are anymore either. i don't know how to make you happy anymore, really. you're really a good person, jane. and i care about you, a lot. but i don't think we can do this anymore, i don't think i can do this anymore. i don't see you any differently, i still want you in my life. i still want you to be friends with us, the group of course. i don't want you to distance yourself like max did after lucas and her broke up. i don't want to become lucas and max, i don't want the kind of relationship for us. we grew up together, you'll always be one of my favourite people, okay? but we really need to break up." mike explained to the smaller girl, tears fell from both hers, and his faces.

"i understand mike, i'm not mad. i'm going to miss you." she said, only for mike to pull her into an embrace. things weren't awkward. everything was, and will get sorted out after all this drama passed.

"i'm not leaving you, okay? i'm still going to be around. but," he paused, pulling away from the hug that they shared. "i can't be your boyfriend anymore." and with that, they were over. they would remain friends and go on with their lives normally.

now mike can focus on what he's going to do about the pretty redheaded girl who is currently living in his house.