Chapter 16 - Coach!?

"HUH?! You've been holding off on a hybrid set?!" Hinata shot his way over to you and blocked you from Kageyama's reach.

"Only because you'd never be able to hit it, and its not perfect yet so it would involve a lot of adapting in the air" The black-haired boy bounced the volleyball for Hinata to catch, "(Y/n) is the best at that, so toss the ball for me".

Hinata wanted to argue, but you patted him on the shoulder as you walked past and gave him a soft smile as you went to drop your bag outside of the court.

"Uh, (Y/n)-san" You pulled your knee pads on over your knee brace as Hinata spoke to you, "what's a hybrid set?"

"Boke! You wanted to try it even though you've got no idea what it is?!" Kageyama was almost fuming and you had to wave your arms to try to calm him down.

"Relax Kageyama-kun" you giggled, "even I'm not that sure what you mean, my setter never asked me to do a hybrid set when I was in Kyoto".

"Try to hit it please" Kageyama braced his hands over his head to prepare to set, obviously not planning to explain what he was trying to accomplish with this new spike.

You nodded and tied your hair back, took a few steps back before you ran and jumped just as Hinata tossed up the ball. You're powerful but thin legs propelled your body up high over the net, your shoulders easily passing the top of the net like you were taking off into flight.

You heard the brush and pang of the ball as Kageyama's long fingers intercepted it, but you didn't watch it. You waited... waited for it to come into your field of view in front of you.

There it is... The orange and blue ball was spinning differently than usual, almost the wrong way for you to typically hit it. It comes... and... You held your breath, and your hand swung for it... it stops.

It felt strange. The ball, as your slim digits curled around it. Unfamiliar. Your gaining of height in the air stopped and as the ball landed fully against your palm, it curled straight downwards just as you wanted.

This truly was a hybrid set he'd tossed for you. The ball spun the wrong way, moved so quickly no blocker could've caught up to you, and as it hit your hand, it almost seemed to stop rotating entirely, giving you full control of its trajectory.

When you listened for the bang as the ball hit the ground. You didn't hear it. Instead there was a fwum!

"Baka-chan!" Nishinoya grinned menacingly as he lay on the ground at your feet, having dived to receive the monster spike, "you didn't hit very hard". The ball jumped up off his hands and flew to Kageyama and he caught it. An almost perfect receive of a hybrid quick.

You landed softly back to the ground and your sneakers skidded over the court floor as you ducked under the net and held your hand out for the libero, "nice receive Yuu".

He smacked your hand away, though lightly so not to hurt your hand, and stood up so you were almost eye-to-eye.

"No more jumping til your knee brace is off, cause there's no way in hell I'll let you get a spike down while your injured" Nishinoya warned, his eyes burning with a striking intensity. You gulped, he was also a little scary to see him looking so angry.

"S-sorry, Yuu" You bowed your head a little in dismay before turning to the dark-haired setter, "that set though Kageyama-kun, the ball rotated the opposite way, it almost stopped still in my hand".

"Then it wasn't good to hit" Kageyama dropped his gaze to the ball between his hands, his knuckles growing white with how hard he was pressing against the ball, "damn it".