Chapter 27 - Part 3

“You haven’t. Don’t lie to me please. You haven’t eaten or slept because of me! It is my fault. You’re practically starving yourself because of me. Why were you staving yourself?” her voice rises slightly.

“Madie, do you realise how hard it is, seeing you on a hospital bed with bandages wrapped around your arm? It kills me that you cut. You cut deep. If I hadn’t got to you on time, you probably wouldn’t have survived! What made you do it? What made you think that cutting was going to solve your problems?” I yell slightly and she looks at her hands while fiddling with her fingers.

“I’m sorry okay? I guess my head wasn’t in the right place at the time. I regret doing anything like that. I don’t know why I did it. I mean, I was talking to mum about Ryker being kicked out and everything and then she was going on about how I’m a burden to everyone, how no one even likes me, how I complain about everything, how I’m selfish and that I should kill myself. Are you happy now? Are you happy that I told you? Luke, I can’t handle being around her anymore. She throws insults at me. I know that half of them aren’t true but still. Every cut I made, I had written down the meanings to them. I forgot where I wrote them, though, and I hope I never see them again,” she says quickly.

“Firstly, none of that stuff it true. You’re perfect the way you are, nothing is ever going to change that. Don’t even try to kill yourself, EVER. I mean it. If you ever feel like doing that again, just call me and I will listen to you. Promise me you’ll do that?” I raise my voice slightly, not meaning to, and she starts crying.

“Why are you y-yelling at me? I-I didn’t mean to h-hurt you. I’m sorry. I r-really am s-sorry,” she says frantically, hiccupping and stuttering a few times.

“I’m sorry, baby. Just promise you won’t do it again. Can you please promise me that?” I ask with my voice low.

“I promise that if I f-feel the n-need to do it a-again, I’ll come to y-you or the b-boys. B-but I can’t p-promise it won’t h-happen again,” she replies and I sigh but nod my head.

“I guess that’s a start. But please, call me whenever you feel like you’re going to do it again. You have people here for you no matter what. Please?” I plead.

She takes a hesitant, shaky breath before she answers, “I will call one of you boys or my brothers if I feel like it. Happy?”

“Yes. When you get out of here, I am going to take you on a date. How would you feel about that?” I ask, making sure she was okay with it.

“I don’t know, Luke. I’ve got stuff going on. I got a brother being kicked, my father is still in hospital, Aaron is trying to look after me and I am being forced to go live with mum again. I don’t think a date is a good thing right now,” she sighs.

“Maybe a date is the exact thing you need right now,” I say quietly, though loud enough for her to hear.