The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 7

Annie:

I had never been one for school. All those rules and all of the teachers trying to convince themselves and you that they're in this because they enjoy seeing us succeed, not because of the salary.

I looked in the full length mirror on the wardrobe, shaking my head at the reflection. The blazer was blue, with the school emblem sewn onto the left hand side. The blue and yellow kilt made me want to cringe, and as for the socks...Let's just say that this uniform, like many before it, hadn't been designed for fashion reasons.

I sighed.

School was the last place I wanted to be. But, if I was completely honest with myself, if I had stayed at home, I would have spent the day brooding over yesterday.

Dinner had been awkward, to say the least. I had sat between Radleigh and Ade, joining in with their conversations. Every now and again, I had looked over in Cal's direction, only for him to look away and pretend to be fully engaged in a debate with Jase. It was pathetic.

Flint still hadn't returned but nobody seemed particularly worried about his whereabouts. Radleigh had said something about it not being completely out of the ordinary. Macca had come back with his mate in the middle of the meal and I got my first look at the girl everyone had sat and slagged off at breakfast.

Georgina was middle height, with short, fluffy, mousey brown hair. She wore a purple furry fleece and a pair of jeans that were far too tight for her. They had been right about her being a bit on the plump size; her chins multiplied as you got lower down her neck and her cheeks were very red and chubby. But she had a kind face and the biggest brown eyes I had ever seen in my life.

They had left shortly after, making excuses about being tired. Yeah, and I was the Queen of England.

But when I went down the stairs at seven, she was already up, making breakfast for the army of boys who would no doubt be thundering into the room in less than an hour. She smiled when I came in. She had taken over Jase's job from yesterday, and was happily frying eggs. I could smell bacon as well. Breakfast seemed to be a really important meal, as did lunch and dinner with them. When I lived with my mum, I had been lucky to have my lunch in my lunch hour, because I spent so much time making sure she was alright.

"Hiya, are you alright?" she trilled in her cute little voice. That was the only way I could describe it; cute.

"Yeah," I sighed, going to the fridge. I took out the orange juice carton and poured myself a glass.

"Are you getting a lift with Cal?" Georgie asked, checking in the oven.

Not if I could help it.

"If there's no-one else," I replied glumly. She passed me a plate and told me to sit down. It was like having your own personal chef.

"So why are you doing the cooking?" I asked her, tucking into the bacon she had had put out for me.

"It's my duty," she said happily. "I'm Macca's mate; I should tend to him."

I looked up to see of she was joking. She wasn't. Duty? She was...what? Twenty, twenty one, if that and she saw it as her duty be his slave? I couldn't believe this rubbish. If someone had said to me, "You're my mate and you're going to do as I say," I would smack them in the face and then kick them where it hurts. So much for feminists.

"While he sits on his arse and does nothing?" I said, pushing my plate away from me. "Doesn't seem like a very fair deal."

Georgie said nothing, perfectly content with her cooking. I wasn't surprised; Sierra was the same. She was always gushing about how amazing Jase was and, even if I had only been in this house for two days, it was already starting to get on my nerves. And then there was the baby. Jase was so annoying; always asking her if she was okay and if she needed anything. If she wanted something, she could get it herself. She was pregnant; not disabled.