22. The Philosopher's Stone

Y/N's POV

That night, the four of us waited in the Common Room until everyone disappeared.

"Better get the cloak," I muttered, as the last person finally left. Harry ran upstairs to our dark dormitory. After a while he came back, the cloak in his hand.

"Brought some flute Hagrid gave me for Christmas, don't plan on singing to that dog." I then said, producing a wooden flute from my robe pocket.

Harry nodded. "We'd better put the cloak on here, and make sure it covers all four of us, if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own-"

"What are you doing?" asked a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry, hurriedly putting the cloak behind his back.

Neville stared at our guilty faces.

"You're going out again," he said.

"No, no, no," said Hermione, "no, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

I looked at the grandfather clock by the door. We couldn't afford to waste any more time, Snape might even now be playing Fluffy to sleep.

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," I said, "this is important."

"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole, "I'll, I'll fight you!"

"Neville," Ron snapped, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot-"

"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation, "Neville, you don't know what you're doing."

Ron took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!"

I turned to Hermione.

"Do something," I said desperately.

Hermione stepped forward.

"Neville," she said, "I'm really, really sorry about this."

She raised her wand.

"Petrificus Totalus!" she's poop cried, pointing it at Neville.

Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as a board.

"Holy crap Hermione!" I exclaimed, my eyes were wide open in shock, looking at Hermione then Neville's rigid body.

"What've you done to him?" Harry whispered.

"It's the full Body-Bind," said Hermione miserably, "oh, Neville, I'm so sorry."

"We had to, Neville, no time to explain." I said.

"You'll understand later, Neville," said Ron as we stepped over him and pulled on the invisibility cloak.

As we crept around the castle, we were quite nervous since every shadow seemed like Filch. Unfortunately, when we were at the staircase on the third floor, we ran into Peeves.

Peeves was bobbing halfway up, loosening the carpet so that people would trip.

"Who's there?" he said suddenly as we climbed toward him. "Know you're there, even if I can't see you. Are you ghoulie or ghostie or wee student beastie?"