Chapter 1: Flashback

I ran through the forest at the fastest speed I have ever run. I could hear the voices of the Careers behind me.

I looked beside me and see only my best friend in the whole world Henri. I quickly smile at him and he smiles back.

‘Don’t run away you weak District 4.’ Snarled a career. ‘Run Summer run now!’ Henri shouted at me.

‘NO I’M NOT LEAVING YOU!’ I shouted back at him as a tear leaked out. He faintly smiled back before he stopped running.

‘No!’ I shout. ‘Keep going!’ he yells back as he stabs his knife into the boy from District 2. ‘No.’ I shout watching him die for me basically. He took out another girl from District 1.

Only one left standing. He was the toughest out of them all. He didn’t go for Henri but for me. I lifted up my trident.

But he just knocked it out of my grasp. He grabbed me by the neck. ‘So who’s tough now?’ He sniggered.

He lifted up his sword and is about to end my life. But before he could lift it into my heart Henri knocked him and it plunged into my shoulder.

I screamed in pain and collapsed to the ground. I watched Henri and the District 3 boy fight.

I knew Henri couldn’t win this one. I watched the boy plunge his sword into Henri’s chest. ‘HENRI!’ I yell.

He gave me a faint smile before he closed his eyes. I screamed his name for him to come back. The boy smiled.

The cannon fired and I cried even more.

A new energy flowed through my veins. Anger….. pure anger. I got up and charged at the boy.

I plunge my trident into the boy with pure anger in my eyes. He became motionless.

The final cannon went off. I cried over Henri’s dead body. I lost my friend. My best friend forever!

I woke up screaming Henri’s name. I cried in my bed for him. I heard footsteps in the empty house. I sobbed for him even though it happened 5 years ago in the 70th annual hunger games with the 75th coming up this year. Someone opened my door. ‘Nalia you ok?’ someone whispered. I knew that voice. It was Finnick the only one I had let in since the games. Since I have no family. ‘Finnick.’ I whisper. ‘You had it again?’ he whispered coming over and sitting next to me in bed. I nod in the dark. ‘The same one?’ he asks rubbing my back. ‘Yes the o…….one when he g…….ets.’ he stops me. ‘Shhhh calm down its ok it’s not real.’ He says. Since the start of the games since Finnick was my mentor Finnick and I have become great friends. He helps me get over these nightmares that haunt my sleep every night. ‘It’s going to be alright ok?’ he tucks my hair behind my ear. ‘I know but.’ I tremble tears threatening to spill again. 'Come on let's get up and see what Snow has in mind for this year's quarter Quell.' he says trying to get my mind off things. 'Ok and thanks Fin.' I whisper into his chest.

I hop out of bed whipping away the tears and went to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and got in. Te hot water streaming off my body, I got out and got changed. I walked downstairs to see Finnick making breakfast for me. Pancakes with blueberries my favourite. 'Smell nice.' I say. I sit down at the bench while Finnick cooked me breakfast again for the fourth time this week. 'Here you go.' he says piling four pancakes onto my plate. 'Bring them into the lounge room with me.' he says walking into the lounge room not waiting for an answer. I groan and pull myself into the lounge room. I eat my pancakes in silence. Once I'm finished I walk out and dump my dishes in the sink and go and join Finnick. 'Isn't it on yet?' i ask him. He sakes his head. 'But I know what we can to while we are waiting?' he says while grabbing my guitar. 'Oh but Fin.' I moan. 'Please for me?' he asks. 'Fine.' I grab the guitar and start playing and singing.

Aye... hmmm...

Dreams are like angels
They keep bad at bay
Love is the light
Scaring darkness away
I'm so in love with you
Make love your goal

The power of love
A force from above
Cleaning my soul
Flame on burn desire
Love with tongues of fire
Purge the soul
Make love your goal

I'll protect you from the hooded claw
Keep the vampires from your door
When the chips are down I'll be around
With my undying death defying love for you
Envy will hurt itself
Let yourself be beautiful
Sparkling light, flowers and pearls and pretty girls
Love is like an energy
Rushing in, rushing inside of me, hmmm...

The power of love
A force from above
Cleaning my soul
Flame on burn desire
Love with tongues of fire
Purge the soul
Make love your goal

This time we go sublime
Lovers entwined divine divine
Love is danger, love is pleasure
Love is pure, the only treasure
I'm so in love with you
Make love your goal

The power of love
A force from above
Cleaning my soul
The power of love
A force from above
A sky scraping dove
Flame on burn desire
Love with tongues of fire
Purge the soul
Make love your goal

Make love your goal

'It's beautiful Nalia.' he says. I smile and put my guitar away and sip my drink of water. Next thing on the TV President Snow is walking out on the platform ready to give his speech. I hate him so much. He lets people basically kill each other in the arena. I'm just one of the lucky ones that got out alive but your life will never be the same. 'He makes me sick.' Finnick groans as Snow gets the letter which holds the instructions for these games. ‘We celebrated theses special games as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overthrow the power of the capital. In the third quarter quell games the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of victors in each district.’ He finished. I stood there in shock. This can’t be happening. I let the glass slip through my hands and it smashed into little pieces on the floor.

I’m going back into that arena.