Chapter 8

For years I pictured my wedding day in my head. Beautiful decorated Chapel, my friends and brother sitting on the side as I walk down the aisle with my hair curled in my white off-the-shoulder wedding dress. My groom would meet me halfway dressed in a tuxedo, looking handsome as ever.  We'd exchange our vows and he'd give me a passionate kiss on the lips to sealed our faith, then we'd drive to the airport and spend on honeymoon in Puerto Rico. But that's not how my wedding day has been so far. 

  Instead of going to a church in a beautiful white dress, I went in from of a judge in a city hall wearing a royal blue maternity dress. My hair was in a messy ponytail. I wasn't wearing any makeup or anything that would enhance my beautiful. I was supposed to feel beautiful on my wedding day but I didn't feel beautiful and I wasn't happy either. I didn't even know today was going to be my wedding day, which also made me angry.

 Andrea left me in his apartment and went to work just like the past week I've been here, except this time he called and tell me to put on a dress and he'll pick me up. Next thing I knew I was in front of a judge signing. 

  My brother didn't come to the wedding, he probably didn't even know about it. Andrea's lawyer and his assistant, Daniel were the only persons there and they were only there as witnesses. 

The atmosphere was tense and no one bothered to address the elephant in the room since it was already pretty obvious. 

Andrea was only marrying me because I was pregnant. 

   We were married in less than five minutes. The next five minutes Andre spent talking to his lawyer and his assistant and he was finished talking to them, he came over to tell me that Daniel will be the one taking me home because he had a meeting to attend. 

Thanks for being romantic. Not. 

I shook my head, I don't know why I expected him to bring me home after the wedding. 

Maybe you thought thinks would change.

  But somethings just don't change after marriage. We weren't on talking terms and it didn't seem like things were going to change either. If we haven't been talking before marriage why should we be talking after marriage? 

   He still hated me for keeping the baby a secret and I still hated him for calling me a bitch and forcing me to marry him. 

  Whatever friendship we had before was gone. There was little to no communications between the two of us. It started out that way because I hated the fact that he'd force me to leave New Jersey and come to California, I didn't want to talk to him and so I didn't. Eventually, he gave up and stop talking to me as well. He made sure I was sleeping before he came to bed and left before I woke. 

"Are you ready to leave Mrs Moretti?" Daniel asked as she approached me. 

  For eighteen years I dreamt having that last name and now I had it, but not the way I wanted it. "Please call me, Jaimee."

She gave me a smile, "Jaimee, it is."

   I nod at the beautiful young woman. She couldn't be older than twenty, she looked like she just finished school. Curiosity got the best of me and so I asked, "How old are you, Daniel?"

"I'm twenty," she answered immediately. 

   "You didn't want to go to college?" After being a teacher for five years I developed qualities that came with the profession, such as inquisitiveness and caring and both tend to work together. "Sorry, I'm just curious."

  She smiled, "No, It's okay. I do want to go to college but right now I can't afford it. I'm the oldest of four children. My parents are not the best examples so I have to be looking after my siblings."