Chapter 1 Part 2 - Peter Pov

Start from the beginning

Drogo - "Nic wants you down for dinner."

"Tell him, I'll be down later."

I vaguely notice Drogo getting up and leaving my room, already deeply concentrated on an old melody. It was one I knew by heart. I played it a thousand times over. It was like a ritual. It relayed my life and emotions perfectly, giving me some sort of clarity or perspektive, but somehow, it felt off. The solace I was used to getting was not coming and I could feel myself getting lost in my own darkened frustration.

The scent of spring flowers made its way into my subconscious. Like a beacon it lit the way out of the darkness and I let myself latch onto the memory and feel myself calm down. I find myself back home, on a day I was trying to find the perfect flower, trying to find the perfect one to give to the girl who I was about to court. I was in love. My hands were sweaty and my heartbeat hammered in my chest, I was that nervous to knock. When I finally took the courage to knock on the door I knew it was leading to that woman.

It was like my mind was playing tricks on me, instead of leaving me with a cleared head I was confronted with her face. A creek of the floorboard, brought me back to reality. And in an instant I vaped to my door, opting for heading downstairs instead of another pesky visit probably from Nicolae this time. I opened the door.... and right there in the corridor near my door, I saw her. Zeva

She was crouched slightly, as if she was trying to sneak, her heart beating miles a minute. But I didn't notice any of that at first.

What I did noticed was the she wore a pair of red boxer shorts that exposed her slender legs and a white T-shirt that, quite frankly did a number on me.

Then her head whipped up and her wide eyes locked onto mine. And I was the one stunned. Just like I had seen from afar, her features were just as stunning and delicate up close. Her natural golden hair to the jawline leading to those sweet plush lips. She had blue eyes. Big blue eyes that if my dead heart had been beating then it would threaten to stop. I'd been and seen my share of beautiful women, in my unnatural long life, but none that looked as mouth watering as her.

"What are you doing here, you shouldn't be here."

I don't understand why would she be out in the corridors this late? and at my door, dressed like that, just as I needed to feed. I repressed my fangs that were itching to make themselves known while my mind was going a million miles a second. It couldn't be intentional, could it? Had she mistaken my room for Drogos maybe? It wouldn't be the first but things could get nasty if she went there.

Zeva - "Sorry to bother you, I heard some music, so I came to see ..."

Oh, so not Drogos room, my music had disturbed her. For some reason I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach at that thought. Noticing my growing attention on her rhythmic heartbeat, I was reminded me I was supposed to feed. I needed to end this conversation now before it went any further.

"I often play the piano late at night, I'll close the door next time. Please don't come back."

Zeva - "Did you compose this music?"

I was slightly taken aback. Did she recognize the piece? No I hadn't played for an audience for centuries and the piece was never published. So what was she after? I searched her gorgeous eyes to see if there was any signs that she might know something. There was no fear anywhere in those gorgeous ocean blue eyes and I quickly found myself captive like a fly to the flame.

"Yes."

I watched as she shifted her stands to a more comfortable one. There definitely was no bra underneath that t-shirt. The way it curved showed just enough to let me know that they were natural. Why did she seem so fragile to me? Just staring at her, I wanted to scoop her up in my arms and keep her safe, and hide her from the world. Her lips moved and all I suddenly found myself wondering how they would taste. What the hell am I thinking?

When she raised an eyebrow at me questiongly, I realized I hadn't responded to what she said. I am not like Drogo, or Nic, I don't embrace what I amn and I am not in the habit of reading minds whenever it's convenient. There are some things that should just remain private. But not knowing what she had asked me, was upsetting, I reluctantly reached in and read her mind. Finding what I needed I immediately retracted again, slightly stunned.

She wanted to know who I was. Specifically, she wanted to know where my music came from. How the hell do you tell someone that the professional was my Rakoczy life and not Bartholy. Again it seemed that I was cursed, I would lose to another, this time to a past me of all things. And why did that bother me? There was nothing that I, Peter Bartholy, could ever offer her, I knew that, so why was a trying.

"Not anymore."

Was all I could manage to say. It was then, that I noticed Drogo lurking down the corridor shadows, a huge grin plastered on his face, like he was enjoying himself, far too much.

(What is so funny?)

(Comon Peter! This is hilarious!) - Drogo

Not thinking this was amusing at all I shut the door, heading back to my piano.

At the click of the door, I realized that I had inadvertently shut the door on Zeva. And I cursed myself again. Fucking Great.

Suddenly unsure if I should reopen the door and apologize, I decided it would be better not too. She was triggering all those locked up emotions and it was straining my control. I went straight, back to the piano, I needed to submerge myself in their songs. After a few minutes, my door opened and I heard Drogo entering my room. With one hand I reached back and grab the blood bag that I knew he had brought me.

"Thanks."

I mumbled as I turned to face him on my chair. I felt my canines elongate and I pierced the bag sucking on its contents. The semi cold liquid made me frown slightly. It is always better when it's the appropriate body temperature, warm.

Drogo - "If you came on time it would be the right temperature."

"Sorry, got held up. And thanks for that by the way."

I scowled at him.

Drogo - "Yeah, about that. What was that? You shut the door on that pretty little face."

"Drogo, Shut the fuck up, I almost vaped into her! Now she probably thinks I'm an asshole, thanks to you."

I hissed throwing the empty bag back at him. He catches it and dunks it in the trash bin across the room. His golden eyes are hooned onto me, as a way to avoid any further unwanted discussions I turned my attention back to my keys.

Drogo - "You like her!"

Drogos matter of fact voice almost had my slam my hands down on my leys.

"NO! I don't."

It was a lie. But I kept my emotions in check, concentrating on striking the piano keys, anything to take me away from this conversation.

Drogo - "Fine Peter. I'm off."

I nod as he gives me a pat and rub on my shoulder before heading out my window. I cannot believe he still feels the need to acts this way so I roll my eyes at his antics. Just before jumping he pauses and sticks his head back in, his eyes almost gleamed with mischief.

Drogo - "I wonder if Nic will go and say goodnight?"

And with that he jumped into the darkness of the night. Slowly I looked at the direction of her room, with our enhanced hearing I could easily hear her heartbeat. It was going steady like she was still up and about. Vampires don't need much sleep but humans do. So what was she doing up at this ungodly hour? Didn't she realize that a human body is fragile needs to rest? Still stewing on what Drogo said, I quickly decided to change my song to that of a sweetened lullaby.