Chapter 3

Emily Alabaster

***

I groan as the cool air conditioning hits my face. I get goosebumps.

"I should've brought my coat" I mumble, but my eyes bulge open with the strong scent of coffee. I take a deep breath and look around taking it all in.

The soft-lit lights Illuminate the gentle smiles on everyone's face. I glance around the area, everyone looks so happy. A slight smile tugs my lips, without me knowing my legs follow the sweet smell of artificial sleep. That is something I need right now. I can't help but keep looking around, this place is amazing. It may be bight outside, but the lighting is muted by the soft caramel curtains draping along the walls, and it hugs windows. The wood floor was reflective, and it went well arrangement of the chairs. Everything was so well placed, whoever designed this is brilliant.

A slight tap on my back woke me up from my daze, "You're next" they mumbled with a hint of annoyance. 'Geez, who peed in their cheerios?' I ponder making my way to the barista.

I push some hair out of my face, my hand grazes sunglasses on my face. It's for my protection, I'm not making that mistake again. After that day I let my guard down, everyone was taken from me. Prayed out of my hands, and gone without a trace. I feel my eyes stinging, I shake my head, then proceed to make eye contact with an employee.

The employee looked like he was in his mid-teens, his black hair danced across his face as if he just woke up. My eyes fall to his name tag, 'Nate' it reads. This makes me grin a bit, it was oddly comforting. He has an apron around his waist, it was a dark red.

I was greeted by a wide smile, "Hi I'm Nate, welcome to Rosie's" I smile back, his eyes were full of curiosity. Since he could barely make-out if I was a human or a mess. I got flustered, I probably looked insane, maybe I should take better care of myself.

I couldn't handle this, "Hello, can I have a venti black coffee with one sugar please" I quickly blurt out. This caused him to squint his eyes.

"Can you repeat that please?" He chuckles, does he think is funny? I'm a grown adult getting taunted by a kid.

I take a deep breath before repeating my order. He nods slowly while making a note of it.

"Who is this for?" He looks up.

"Emi-EMMA" I stopped myself, I almost blew my cover. Come on Emily, you have done this so many times. I just want to have some coffee and not a news van with the press in my face. God, Emily why are you so careless? My frustration causes me to sigh heavily.

The kid smiles wider, "I know exactly how you feel, but this coffee should help ya!" He yelps. I grin at his attempts to make the situation better, it's not working.

I quickly give him the cash and go to the pickup counter, I hear small giggles of his co-workers. I miss that feeling, happiness and living freely. I don't get that chance anymore, I sacrificed so much already. From what I learned you should always love your family like there is no tomorrow. I can never do that again, I can feel a tear escaping my eye. I swipe it away, I can't make a scene, not here.

I try to direct myself to the radio playing, how did I not notice this? I'm always in a daze.

***

"Emily, Emily?!? HELLO????" My mother shouts while waving her hands to catch my attention.

"Hm...?" I break my thoughts, I was thinking about a deal in my company.