CHAPTER NINETEEN: REALLY NOTHING

CHAPTER NINTEEN: REALLY NOTHING

Come cuddle with me.

     The words blink back at me for a few seconds before my cell phone screen turns black again. A minute rolls by, and my screen lights up again reminding me of the text. The answer should be simple. Yes, no, maybe so. My stomach tightens at the thought of saying anything at all. I could just keep reading and pretend I didn't see it, but I did that the other night, and over the weekend my excuse was "I fell asleep."

     My phone screen goes black again all the while maybe blinks around in my mind. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Maybe I've been reading this all wrong.

     I tug at my lip. The lab write-up I was in the middle of now completely abandoned. My eyes are glued to the end of my comforter. It doesn't help when my phone lights up again.

     Correction: come study with me? Trent tries again.

     I finally pick my phone up off the desk. Library? I ask because aside from the fact that the study and homework sessions in his dorm room are only getting less and less productive, I might as well drag him down to the basement for another real talk. It feels necessary at this point even if I don't want to go through with it. I just can't let the nagging feeling I've had in my gut since the other day go away. The way he dropped my hand. The half-assed salute. Two steps forward, and yet always one step back.

     I go back to highlighting the article I'm reading at my desk for a few minutes before my phone lights up again. 

     NoOoOoOo

    My lips tip up. I can't help it because that's the Trent I know, that's the Trent I've been getting to know these last few months. It's just every once and a while he flips a switch and leaves me in the dark. He turns it on, and he turns it off.

     My thumbs hover over the screen. Yes, no, maybe so. Fine.

     He sends me a smiley face in response. The same smiley face I picture his face stretching into with all his big, bright teeth. Text me when you're on your way. He adds as a separate message.

     I send him a thumbs up before placing my phone back down. I stretch my arms up before grabbing my highlighter. I might as well finish what I can before I leave. 

****

My purple rainboots squish into the grass as raindrops continue to pelt against my head. I'm wearing my black windbreaker with the hood not only pulled up, but also the strings pulled so the sides are taunt around my head. The hitchhiker look is completed by my backpack flopping behind me. 

     Trent's not waiting outside, or near the door. He usually springs it back with the gallantry of a knight and ushers me inside, or sometimes if he's feeling extra goofy, he'll crack it open, poke his head from side to side to make sure we're clear from followers like spies before letting me in. Most times, my favorite times, is when he waits outside the building or right by the door. He'll perk up when he sees me, open the door for me with a lazy smile, and then before the door even closes behind us, he'll momentarily tug me into his side for a few steps, hugging me against him.

     "So, how are we today?" He'll grin down at me.

     "Not bad, how about yourself?" I'd smile back.

     Today, he's nowhere in sight. I'm stuck waiting, but I don't mind because it gives me more time to muster up the courage to talk to him, like really talk to him, no jokes, no pit stops, or detours. My hands wring together at the thought.