Chapter 38

Hands touch my shoulders, making me flinch from shock; the large thick digits work my tense muscles as lips kiss my temple gently. "I'm sorry, Baby G, I didn't mean to startle you." My hands touched his shakily as I smiled up at him.

"I wasn't paying attention, I got lost in thought." Again, nothing new lately. Axel chuckles lightly and kisses my head as he rubs my arms.

"A lot on your mind?" He murmured, and I nodded with a tired sigh as I leaned back into his warmth.

"Yeah, just thinking about everything that's been happening." This is exhausting. A week has passed and I've tried to wrap my head around the mess that I've landed right in the center of.

"Why don't we go out and do something?" He asks softly, his hands massaging my shoulders, making me look up at him.

"Like what?" I was confused; he smiled and kissed my head before pulling me to stand.

"Something different. Take your mind off of things. I figure we can go see Pops and then just relax and take a nice long drive."

"Isn't that dangerous? Shouldn't we just stay-" I'm cut off by his chuckle as he wraps an arm around my waist, walking me through the clinic door before locking it behind us.

"Baby G, it's being taken care of. I think we've earned to take a day off and just breathe." I shake my head with a shaky smile. Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid at this point; I just want this to be over. I nod, glancing down with a soft, weak chuckle.

"Can I change first? I don't really want to be wearing my scrubs out." Not exactly the nicest date outfit. Is this a date? The thought makes me bite my lip in confusion. He chuckled and rubbed my back with a nod.

"Of course, go get changed, I'll be in Digger's office, I have to go over some things with him." I kiss his cheek giving a nod before I move towards his room. Is this what teenager's feel like going out on dates? The giddy, churning feeling in their bellies? Slipping into the room I stand in front of the dresser feeling nervous for a completely different reason. Is this what good nerves feel like? I stand there for a moment as I stare into the closet. I shake my head with a slight chuckle, changing into skinny jeans and a nice top.

My hands smooth over the dark maroon fabric, smoothing it against my belly before I move to pull on my shoes. I never knew how much I'd miss having both legs healthy until one was almost completely casted. Since it's been freed I've had to get used to the appendage not weighing a complete ton. And the brace it's now in. I stare at the black brace and sigh, if I want to not have a permanent limp then it's something I just have to suck it up. Better than limping my whole life. I shake my head as I leave the room, heading towards the shop to go find Axel.

"You sure that's what you want to do?" I followed the sound of Axel's voice into the garage, his large form makes me smile seeing him leaning against Digger's office doorway, looking focused on the conversation at hand.

"Why the hell not? I think it's a good move, besides. Crow's been working hard, you know he's due for another deployment." Digger reminded Axel of some form of commitment. I have no idea what they are talking about.

"Yeah, now would be the time to let him start it up. If it's something he wants to do, he can be our overseas liaison. It couldn't hurt, I think it'll help returning veterans. Give them a known brotherhood to enter." Axel mused and glanced over his shoulder as I moved closer earning a smile in my direction. "Alright Digger, if you spot Snake give him the heads up for me, will ya?" Digger grunts as Axel moves from the office.

"Yeah, yeah, get outta here." He chuckled lightly, making me glance into the open door way before Axel pulled me with him out the front door.

"Everything alright?" I ask as he guides me to his car and he chuckles lightly.