Chapter 42

Quinn didn't move until she heard the footsteps disappear. She was still processing what had just happened. She wanted to run after them and say that there had been a mistake, and that she was the one they should have taken. But she didn't. It wouldn't make a lot of difference. The fact remained that the one person who actually had a vague knowledge of the building and what do to had gone, and she was to blame.

Opening the door slowly, she left the classroom and took a cautious step out into the corridor. One slip-up and she'd be gone too. Luke had just proven that already. So she had to be more careful. She had to stay focused.

Breaking into a run, she hurried silently across the building, trying to stay in the shadows and avoid any light. She heard a noise and darted into a changing room, crouching behind the lockers.

More footsteps.

Holding her breath, she waited for whoever it was to pass, but they didn't. Instead, it sounded like they was getting closer.

She hugged her knees to her chest, trying to control her breathing. They were opening the door. They were coming inside. They were in the room with her.

Closing her eyes tightly, she tried hard not to panic. They might still leave, and she'd only be putting herself in more danger if she tried to move.

The person darted behind the lockers and sat next to her.

Quinn opened her eyes reluctantly. It was Jessie.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack." She hissed.

Jessie's head snapped around to face her. "What?"

"Doesn't matter." Quinn looked at her. Her face was deathly pale and her eyes were wide and frightened. She was shaking slightly, and staring at her. "Are you okay?"

"Can't... Can't do this..." She babbled, clawing at her head, eyes wild. "I'm sorry..."

"What's the matter?" Quinn said, trying to sound gentle.

"I feel bad. I keep hearing their footsteps, and I keep running, and they keep almost seeing me, and I can't keep running forever because it hurts, but if I stop they'll see me. I think I'm going to faint." She said all of this in one breath, still looking around the room wildly.

Quinn put a hand on her shoulder awkwardly. "Just breathe," she said quietly. "It's okay, they aren't here now. You're gonna be fine. You won't faint. You're just a little tired from all the running. Okay?"

"I can't go back to that place." She muttered, running her hands through her hair. "I'm getting better. I can't go back, I'm getting better."

Quinn moved slightly towards her. "Jessie..."

She grabbed her hand and looked directly at her, evidently reading her expression. "I am, aren't I? I'm getting better. Am I?"

Quinn hesitated. "You're... You're doing amazing. What..."

"Can I stay here?" Jessie interrupted. "I'm sorry, I can't... I don't want to go back there, and I know you said it's my duty to help, but... Is it safe? I can wait here if it's safe."

Quinn looked over the room. There was only one door, and it was narrow. The lockers didn't provide much shelter, and if anyone looked in the room they'd see anyone inside immediately. As a place to stop, it was fine. As a place to wait for potentially hours, it was less than ideal. "I know you won't like this, but..."

She heard Jessie take a inhale sharply.

"No... No, just... Just listen to me." Quinn held out a hand to help her up, and tried to reassure her. "You'll be safest if you keep moving. I promise you I won't let anything happen. Alright?"