42. Aftermath

We ended up using three belts to tie the guy up: one around his upper arms, one around his ankles, and one was used to secure his wrists together in front of his body.

As I clasp the last one tighter, police sirens echo through the air. Confused, I rush to the window to see multiple cars around my apartment complex.

"You didn't call them, did you?" I ask Jimin.

He shakes his head. "Someone probably frantically dialed when they heard the gunshots."

A feeling of guilt comes over me when I remember how I'd locked Jimin out with a guy that is part of the Sparked Mafia.

"We're in deep shit now, huh?" I gesture to the spark pin on the man's torso. "Oh, speaking of gunshots, what-"

"He hit around my abs." Jimin says as he pulls off his suit jacket.

"What the fuck he got you?!"

Wordlessly, my bodyguard lifts up his olive shirt and reveals the bulletproof vest underneath. I sigh heavily, releasing the tension and worry from moments ago.

"What kind of bodyguard do you think I'd be if I didn't wear one of these?"

I laugh joyfully and stop myself from running into his arms in relief. "Thank you for being okay. And, you know, not dumb."

He chuckles and looks at me. "We made a great team today."

Before I can reply, my front door swings open as footsteps make their way inside. We leave my room to see a bunch of policemen, arms out holding guns and surveying the minor damage of the fight.

Instinctively I put my hands in the air—I guess as a way to prove my innocence—and Jimin lets them know we've caught the shooter in the other room.

"I'm sorry, you-you caught the shooter?" One of the policewomen says disbelievingly.

Jimin sighs before gesturing to me. "Kyung Mi and I will come to the station and share our side as witnesses. Though I'd prefer to talk to Han Bong Chol because he knows our situation."

I turn to him. "How would he-"

"I spent a year in jail, remember?" Jimin cuts me off with a knowing smile.

+++

"I want to talk to him, Bong Chol. I need answers."

The police officer raises his brows at Jimin before turning his eyes back down to the profile in his hand. "There isn't any information on this guy, and he isn't spilling anything yet."

"So I'll make him spill." Jimin says, eyes dark with anger.

Bong Chol shakes his head. "It's against policy to allow visitors to someone that isn't actually in prison yet. We're just holding him until his trial."

"Then make an exception. This guy came with a gun looking for Kyung Mi-"

"Which is more reason why I'm not letting you see him. You guys are his victims, so he's especially dangerous to you."

Jimin sighs. "Please! We've told you everything we know, and we're just trying to figure things out. The more we know about the Sparked Mafia, the better I can be at protecting Kyung Mi against them."

Bong Chol turns to me. "It is possible for me to make an exception if I ask the chief of our department. But I'll only do it if you want to see him, considering you're the one being hunted."

I cringe at his choice of words. Hunted. I remember back to when I heard his voice; it was as cold as ice. I shiver at the thought of hearing it again, but I know I need to for information.

I nod. "I want to see him."

"Then I'll try to arrange it."

Some time later, we are directed to a different room and told to be extra precautious around him. After being consoled that there was going to be guards in the room with us, we are told to enter.

The moment I walk in and lock eyes with the man, my heart stops.

I've seen him before.

I've seen him walking the halls of my university, talking with Dong Yoo. That can only mean one thing.

Sitting before us is In Su.