The Dark King's Gambit

Disclaimers: Dark themes, police state ideas, mention of spousal abuse (including rape) on and off-screen, death of minor characters, graphic imagery and violence, frank sex discussion, copious bad language, bashing the fucking Weasley's and Dumbledore, liberties taken with mythical history.

***

Harry disappeared for three whole days, which made Hermione very cross. He didn't tell her specifically where he had gone, but she pretty much knew his intent. She'd asked him for something, and he was such an insanely lovely boyfriend, or whatever his role might be called these days, that he wouldn't rest until he'd delivered it for her. Her heart swooped at the very thought, until her intense misery at missing him kicked in and she started calling him names.

Enola had been cool around Hermione for a full week, too. Their little unspoken exchange during Sue Bones' episode in the infirmary had thrown up an awkward tension between the new friends that neither really knew how to get past. Hermione felt terribly guilty for being so possessively jealous, but she wasn't used to having to apologise for something like that, so she didn't know how to go about making amends. Enola, for her part, was simply wary ... if Hermione was anything like Sue, who knew how volatile she was likely to get.

The world outside the wards, for all Enola knew, might have turned all the girls into feral beasts ... and she had her little girl to think of, after all.

So Hermione became lonely very quickly. She focused on helping Sue to settle into her new suite, and filled her in on all things Harry, but the touchy issue of Sue's actions put an unspoken barrier between them. Sue seemed keen to steer the conversation towards Hermione and Harry's sex life - which she refused to believe was confined to heavy petting at best - but it was all a fairly obvious front, an avoiding tactic to prevent confronting the horrors that had taken place in the infirmary.

Susan needed time, to be left alone, to properly process what had happened. Hermione gave her that space, but with Enola giving her a wide berth in return, it left Hermione in something of a social black hole. But then, on the evening of the third day of Harry's absence, Rhian popped into view in her bedroom with a new dress and a message.

"What's that?" asked Hermione, pointing at the dress. It looked to be made of some sort of scaly leather.

"A battle-dress for yous," said Rhian, proffering it to her. "Dragonhide for protection, chameleon skin to blend in."

Hermione was suddenly taut. "And why would I need either of those things?"

"For yous be going out into the world tonight, Mistress Hermione," said Rhian. "Master Harry be waiting for you. And he wants you to be safe."

Hermione's breathing changed. Harry was home? Since when? She didn't feel the wards shift as she usually did when he returned.

"I didn't notice Harry coming in," said Hermione. "When did that happen?"

"Half an hour back, maybe less," said Rhian. "He be very serious tonight. He keep his emotions under check. Come along, Mistress, best not leave Master Harry waiting."

Hermione stood and allowed Rhian to help her change into the battle dress. She had noticed how the Head Elf had stopped calling her Lady, in favour of Mistress. That spoke quietly to her heart about her subtle change of role, but she barely heard it over the nervous way it was suddenly beating. The air of the house was very serious tonight, Hermione only noticed it now. Perhaps she'd been in such a funk of a mood that she'd switched off her new perceptive ability.

But it was back on with aplomb now, and Hermione shuddered as the low throb of energy settled on her. Harry was worried, she could sense that. She was attuning more and more to the feel of the house when he was around. It was wildly thrilling to be able to tap into these energies so easily now. She didn't think she could possibly get any closer to Harry, in any way bar physical, but every time she thought that, a new way cropped up. That was giddyingly thrilling, too.