The Night On The Hill

Hernanda Wilkinson

Looking at Alice's face, I could sense her dismay. She was dismayed by seeing Timothy and Shifaly talk to each other like how people who like each other talk to each other. Alice was jealous of Shifaly, and no matter how she tried to hide it, it was obvious. She tries to put a fake smile whenever she sees the two together, but I know that she's devastated beneath that fake smile. Being an introverted person didn't mean that I was incognizant of things in the school. There's no wonder Timothy likes Shifaly more than Alice. Alice was trying hard to deceive herself into thinking that Timothy was just being friendly with Shifaly but I knew that Timothy liked Shifaly and Shifaly liked Timothy. Alice herself knew that was the truth, but she liked to believe otherwise. Alice hangs out with a lot with the guys in the school and doesn't hang out much with the girls. She is more of a tomboy. And from my experience, most of the tomboys don't get liked by guys. In the world of attractiveness, only little to no boys like tomboys. If you look at Wolfgang Academy, you can find a lot of tomboys. They're a sad case. They make good 'best-friends' for guys but rarely do they ever become someone else's crush.

Alice told me numerous times that she thought that Timothy liked her. Truth is being a good friend of Timothy, she never really had the objectivity of distance that I had. Timothy definitely didn't like Alice like how one would like their crush. In fact, at the library back in Wolfgang I overheard a conversation between Timothy's friends and Timothy.

"Come on bud, tell us you like Alice don't you?" Rosario Jones asked, amid the "Ooooh's" of the other boys.

That was when I heard what Timothy really thought of Alice. Timothy responded with a chuckle, "Alice? Definitely no! She's too much for a guy to handle. Moreover, she's a tomboy. I have no issues with being friends with a tomboy, but liking them? Meh! I like more of the girlish types of girls. Moreover, Alice is too much. She has huge emotional baggage with her, and I definitely don't want to fall in love with someone with tons of emotional baggage. Never!"

I never told what Timothy said at the library to Alice because I was afraid that it would hurt Alice, so I let her think that Timothy had a crush on her.

We were all outside the huts, on top of that hill. The rains had stopped, so we on a few rocks on the top of the hill, admiring the sky. Kirt was sitting near a cliff that overlooked the forest below the hill. An hour ago, the boys changed their mind about leaving the raft near the bank; they went downhill and carried the raft to the top of the hill.

Kirt Heinrich

When everybody else went to the huts to sleep, I was still sitting on the cliff, staring at the forest below and the beautiful river lit by the moon. The rain was over and the sky was clear, except for a few puffy clouds that were above the hill. The view of the forest and the river looked more beautiful at night than how it looked during the evening. In the jungle, we had no sense of direction anymore. The only direction we had was upstream and downstream, nothing less and nothing more. We didn't know where we were. We could have been anywhere actually and not realized where we were. We could have been in Peru, Brazil, Paraguay, or Argentina. The forest below was denser than the forests that we had previously encountered.

While I was sitting near the cliff, Hernanda got up and sat beside me. I looked at her and smiled. She moved some of her hair from her beautiful face and smiled back. Hernanda is a beautiful girl: she's incomparable to any girl. She's so sweet, kind and wonderful. You could sit with Hernanda and spend hours with her talking...just talking. The way she talks is so adorable. She doesn't talk as much as I do (I'm very talkative...too talkative) but when she does talk, it is so precious. When she looked at the forest, I tried to steal looks of admiration of her face. When she looked back blushing, with a smile, I turned towards the river, pretending to have been looking at the forest (not her) for a long time.