Chapter Twenty Four

With linked arms with Shin-ah, who is wearing a blindfold over his eyes in place of his mask, I walk beside Yona. "What do you think of the town?"

"It's..." He looks around. "Interesting." He mutters looking at different stalls.

"Hello, hello. Welcome, all! Hello little miss, you would look absolutely stunning in this!" Lucian's voice echoes from somewhere. "It matches your eyes perfectly!"

Shin-ah and I stop and stare as Lucian has a bunch of women surround his stall filled with jewels and other items. "Well, we know what Lucian does..." I sweatdrop as the girls swoon over his looks. Hayate nowhere to be found.

"Guys, we're heading this way!" Yun grabs my hands and drags us back to the groups. "Don't get lost."

"Kija where's the Green Dragon?" Yona looks up at Kija.

"I think he's in this town, but he's very fast and won't hold still."

A vase breaks through a window and smashes on the ground. My eyes widen in horror at my late remembrance of this scene. How did I forget this?! "Out of my way!" An unknown man yells from inside. There's pleads from two other people, begging him to stop. Hak walks ahead of the group and peers into the broken window. "Please, stop!" "Shut up!"

My heart thumps against my chest.

"W-what's going on?" Yona innocently asks before she too looks through the window.

No, no, no, no!

"Looks like the officers are making a racket," Hak says with a sad look in his eyes but keeps his expression neutral.

Yona's eyes practically become fire. She attempts to go in but is stopped.

If we wait too long...My parents are tied to a chair, throats slit, blood everywhere, they're dead. I...I don't...I--

I pull myself from Shin-ah and break into the shop. I slam the door open, completely unaware of my friends telling me to come back. I'm completely unaware as I jump in front of the little boy who's about to lose his life.

--I can't watch anyone else die! Lucian!

I come to my senses, I raise my arms up in an attempt to block the very sharp, very deadly sword the officer is about to stab me with.

"I hear you. I'm here." Lucian's voice enters my mind, soon followed by the soft sound of someone playing the flute.

The officer's eyes turn blank, his shoulders slump and he drops his sword. It clatters against the wooden floor. The officer and two other mutely walk out of the destroyed shop. The little boy cries in his parent's hold.

He's alive...

I gulp and release a shaky breath. I almost collapse to the floor but someone hugs me. I close my eyes and return the hug. I see Yona's crimson hair and cry. I'm weak...I'm so fucking weak. But...I look over at the little boy and smile. "He's alive, Yona."

"You idiot." Yona sniffles. "You can't just run into danger like that...but I'm proud." She looks up at me and gives her a famous dazzling smile.

"Thanks." I flush in embarrassment and wipe my tears onto my sleeve. "Well, that's enough emotional stress for one day!" I let out a fake laugh.

Lucian pops his head into the door and waves his flute. "Don't worry love, they won't remember any of this." He smirks. "I'm surprised you called out to me."