27

Number Five

1, 2, 3, 4. Na-Na-Na-Na-Na~Na."

Winnie Hargreeves shut her eyes and nodded along to the song blasting in her ears. She was anxious. So very anxious that she was hoping listening to the song at max volume would drown out her thoughts.

It didnt.

"They tell me you've touched the face~ of god."

Winnie felt someone poke her shoulder. She quickly paused her music and looked behind her doe-fully, not having a clue why anyone would touch her.

"Sorry to disturb you miss, are you on the flight to Paris? Its boarding right now." An airport attendant stood behind her with a shiny bright smile and glossed back hair.

Winnie glanced around wildly to see she was the only person left in her section. The last few passengers were already hurrying onto the plane.

"Oh yes, yes I am. Im sorry." Winnie apologized and got to her feet. Her face was bright red at her obliviousness.

"Not to worry Ma'am. It happens to young passengers time to time. Ticket?" The shiny attendant replied. She held out a white gloved hand.

Winnie pinched a smile and handed over her plane ticket. She then gathered her small black suitcase and tucked her hair behind her ears. She was ready to leave. The woman escorted her over to the gate with a puckered smile.

Behind Winnies back, the attendees awed and held their hands over their chest. The sight of young Winnie, dressed so sophisticated in a tailored dress with her forever messy hair, made them swoon.

Usually Winnie would have reveled in her adoration even if it was misplaced, but she was still anxious. So she ignored them. She silently slipped her headphones back on as the woman guided her further onto the plane.

It was Winnies first time going away without her family. Her first time being totally alone.

"Like the sound of a rope~ cracking on your neck."

Smoggy wind billowed over ruins. Broken and cracked reminders of civilization littered the horizon. The sky was orange, set alight by the world on fire, and ash-like-snow fell to the earth.

Five wondered if it ever got less dramatic, and hoped he wouldn't stick around long enough to find out.

"They tell me you'd never give~ it up."

He was covered in thick clothes with a mask around his face. It took him all of an hour to gather his ensemble, when he realized the ash still burned when it touched his skin.

He tugged along a little red wagon with all the supplies he could scrounge from his destroyed home. Dolores and Vanya's book were stacked on top as sentimental reminders.

There would have been more. He found a burnt Winnie the Pooh bear in the wreckage of his house.. but he couldn't look at it- so he left that sentimental reminder on top of her grave.

"Like the song that was soul~ singin in your head."

The wheels squeaked and he pulled down his mask to take a drink. His young face was caked with dirt and he scowled at the landscape around him. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing.

No buildings left standing. No person left alive. He was alone. Perfectly alone, for the first time in his life.

"So honey Please— Don't let go."