9. DÏF FÉRĒ ŃT

Josh and Tyler sat at their usual lunch table the day after Tyler told Lina he didn't want to be friends anymore. Josh could see his best friend sitting a table by herself and it broke his heart. He just didn't know what to do about it.

"Are you sure you don't wanna be friends with Lina anymore, Ty? You've known her for years."

Tyler rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'm sure. She's a bitch. I don't like her."

Josh frowned. "Don't call her that."

"Or what?" Tyler taunted. "You gonna dump me? Go ahead."

Josh didn't respond to that, instead looking down at his tray as he took a bite of his food.

He's been noticing that Tyler's been eating less and less. Not an alarmingly amount but still enough to notice him getting thinner. The big, black sweatshirt he was wearing with his black skinny jeans enveloped most of his body. Josh would've thought he looked adorable if he wasn't worried for his health.

"Do you want to hang out this weekend?" Josh asked hesitantly, scared of Tyler snapping at him. Earlier in the morning Tyler had broken him down and made him feel like shit the whole way to school.

Tyler nodded. "Sure."

Josh perked up. "Really?" He asked excitedly.

"If you're gonna be obnoxious about it then no," Tyler told him.

"Do you have play practice at all this weekend?"

"Nope. I quit the play."

Josh stared at him in disbelief. Why the hell had he quit the play? Tyler loved acting.

Maybe it was due to the fact that not even a week ago everyone loved Tyler. Now? They boy got dirty looks in the hallway and he treated everyone he interacted with like shit. No one wanted to be around him anymore. And it had only been a few days.

"You quit? You're the lead, babe!"

Tyler cringed at the pet name and Josh made a mental note not to call him that anymore. "Everyone there makes me want to gouge my fucking eyes out. I was over it. Besides, the shitty understudy can play my part."

Josh sighed. "Okay... so you're free all weekend?"

"Yeah but you have your dentist appointment Saturday."

Josh blinked. "How did you know that?"

Tyler gave him a look. "Are you that fucking dumb? You told me in the car this morning."

"I did?" Josh swears he didn't tell Tyler. He had only found out about the appointment the night before.

"I cannot stand you," Tyler scoffed.

Josh looked back down at the table. He felt tears prick his eyes.

Tyler let out a small noise, making Josh glance back up. He was pouting but it was condensing. "Did I make Joshie cry?" He mocked. He then sneered. "Grow the fuck up."

Josh stared at him. "What the hell has gotten into you?" He whispered. "This makes you feel good? Making me upset? Calling me names? I fucking love you, Tyler. Why are you doing this to me?"

Tyler smiled. It wasn't a kind smile. It wasn't a sad smile. It was a sadistic smile. "I told you. This is just the new me."

He stood up and walked off, leaving Josh there alone to wipe his tears.

---

Josh pulled into Tyler's driveway and put the car in park, waiting for him to get out.

Tyler looked at him expectantly. "Aren't you going to say goodbye?"

"Bye," Josh mumbled, his head resting on the arm that was propped up on the car door.

Tyler scoffed and opened the door. Josh looked over and saw Maddy walking towards the car, wringing her hands together anxiously. She gave Josh a nervous smile. "Hey, Mads."

"Hi."

Tyler got out and gave her a look of disgust. "Move," he ordered, shoulder checking her hard as he walked off.

Tears filled Maddy's eyes and she swallowed. Glancing over, she made sure Tyler was inside before looking back at Josh. "Can we talk?" She asked, her lip wobbling.

Josh's heart ached at the sight of seeing someone he considered his own sister like this. "Of course. Hop in."

She got in and Josh turned the car off completely so he didn't waste any gas. "What's up?"

Maddy let out a small sob. "I miss my big brother."

Josh felt tears prick his eyes. "I miss him too."

"Something's not right," she insisted. "He's different."

"Do you think it's because your parents split up?"

"I don't know. I mean when our grandpa died a few years ago Tyler was just sad. They were really close and it hurt him so much but he didn't get like this."

"Is he just as aggressive at home?"

"Oh it's so bad, Josh," Maddy looked at him with teary eyes. "He yells at Jay and makes him cry every night. He doesn't leave his room and when he does he starts arguing with our mom and calling her names. His cat won't even go near him. Tyler and Gracie were best friends and now whenever they're in the same room she hisses at him and tries to scratch him."

Josh let that sink in. So it wasn't Josh's fault or anything. Tyler really was going through something. "What do you think it is?"

"I don't know," she repeated. "We learned about depression in health class. Maybe's he's depressed. He's showing a lot of the same signs as depression."

That broke Josh's heart. He didn't want Tyler to be depressed. If he was it obviously wasn't his fault but ever since the first day they met on the bus in middle school he's wanted nothing but happiness for the previously angelic boy.

"God, I hope not," Josh replied. "Or maybe I do. Then we could get him some help."

"I don't like him being mean to me."

"I don't like him being mean to me either."

The two talked for a little longer before Josh told Maddy he had to get home to let Jim out.

Maddy looked at Josh before getting out. "You have my number," he began. "Text me if anything gets too bad, okay? And your mom will handle things too if they get to that point."

Maddy nodded. "Thank you, Josh," she hugged him. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mads."

He watched her get inside safely before making his way home, the whole way thinking about how he hoped they could get to the bottom of Tyler's behavior issues.

For everyone's sake.