44

He stood and outstretched his hand to you. You took it and let him pull you to your feet. 

"Where are we going?" you asked. 

"Well..." He seemed to think for a moment, but a suspicion made you wonder if he had already thought about it. "We can't do much sleuthing on empty stomachs, can we?" 

You narrowed your eyes and smiled a little. This was definitely a plan of his. "Alright, I'll play along. To Granny's?" 

"To Granny's." 

You walked with him out of the shop and onto the road. 

It was odd being with him like this. You felt close to him, but never in a way that went very deep. He was your mentor, you his apprentice. But now, you were equals. 

He smiled down at you, almost as if he knew what you were thinking. Perhaps, if you voiced your thoughts, he would agree. You looked up. "Mr. Gold?" 

"Hm?" 

"Have you got any idea what we're going to investigate this afternoon?" 

"Just you wait, dearie." 

"But I'm curious. You've been acting weird the past couple of days. I know something's going on in that mind of yours." 

"You're quite observant," he commented. 

"I can't help it," you replied. "When you spend all your time with someone, you notice things." 

"Fair." He eyed you. "Well, answer me this. Have you any idea what we'll investigate?" 

"No." You squinted. "I asked you first." 

He raised an eyebrow. "That's irrelevant." 

You thought for a moment. If he wouldn't tell you, you'd just have to find the answer yourself. You knew you could get the answer if you asked enough questions. 

"Does it have something to do with your visit with the mayor?" 

"Perhaps." 

"What'd you have to talk to her about, anyway? Money?" 

"Not quite." 

"Then what was it?" 

"Just a friendly chat." 

"You don't even like her." 

He laughed at that. You pressed on, but switched to a different idea. 

"What about the new girl? Is she involved in what we're doing?" 

"You're getting close." 

"Close to what?" 

"Figuring out our goal." 

"Shouldn't I know the goal if I'm also trying to accomplish it?" 

He huffed. "You are a curious one." 

The words stirred something in you. Some long-forgotten memory of a... A man? 

You were in a forest, walking next to a man. He didn't look quite human, but you were sure he was. He was dressed in leather and silk. You were striding just a few paces behind him so you couldn't make out his face. Something told you that he was mysterious, and powerful. 

"You are a curious one."