I'm still here

Ethan

'Absolutely not, Evelyn. You are not going at this on your own.'

She chuckles defiantly, clearly amused by my words; staring outside the car window. Not that there was much to see, even with a full moon, the city remains dark thanks to the torrential downpour.

'What I want to know is what you intend to do to stop me, Killian. After all, you and I both know that nothing prevents my determined will from coming to fruition.' Her response is anything but comforting. I can sense the defiance in her words and an even more humorous attitude.

Evelyn's lack of care for her own personal safety was alarming to me. I cared for her, and she still seemed to disregard that fact.

Or perhaps I was being overprotective. In any case, I was simply doing my job.

'I'm just worried, Evelyn. That's all. Zifengs are extremely dangerous and dirty. You and I are first-hand proof of that.' I place my hands on her shoulders and nestle my face in the space between it and her neck.

'I can't lose you a third time. Not again, Evelyn.'

A single tear escapes my eye as I feel her hand caress my cheek in an attempt at comfort.

Her arm slowly snakes its way around my neck and tugs at my hair. I remain blissfully still and silent, savoring this moment.

'I know what the Zifengs have put you through, Killian. And my greatest regret is not having freed you the day I escaped. There is not a day that goes by in which I don't think about what happened during our captivity. I can only hope to never let you down like that ever again. So long as I live.'

She pushes at my chest gently and tilts my head up with her hand. Our gazes lock and so do our lips.

The spark her touch ignites within me sends chills down my spine. This woman was my everything. And she certainly would be the death of me.

'You didn't let me down, Evelyn.' I say between kisses. 'Believe it or not, you were actually what kept me going. Every day, I kept thinking to myself that I would see that beautiful girl one last time before I died. And to be honest Evelyn…' I try to continue only to break down in tears.

'I got more than I could have ever wished for.'

'And all I am telling you Killian is to trust me. I'll be fine.'

'Alright.' I say reluctantly.

She kisses me one last time and tugs at my collar before opening the handle and stepping out.

She ducks and looks at me as she places her arm on the roof.

'If anything happens, you'll be the first to know.'

'I hope it doesn't come to that.' She smirks and rolls her eyes, then slams the door and walks to the entrance. The rain does little to bother her. Before I know it, her figure disappears through the revolving door and is next to impossible to make out through the dark glass.

I sigh and try to inhale a long breath to try and calm my nerves. The raindrops crash against the glass roof of the German sedan, and as Cole gets in the driver's seat the sound intensifies for the brief time the door is open.

'I believe congratulations are in order for you, Mr. Dearborn. Never thought you would be the one Evelyn would fall for.' Cole says enthusiastically, albeit in a different tone than usual. Perhaps it was my ears playing tricks on me but I could almost swear his British accent was not present in his words.

'Thank you, Cole. I consider myself lucky to have Evelyn in my life.' I reply cautiously, hoping to see what angle he is playing. Suddenly the car felt too small. I could not get enough distance between us.

'It really is a pity that she won't live long enough to say the same about you.' He turns to me and smirks.

I instinctively reach for my Glock, only for him to gesture no with his finger.

'I wouldn't do that, Killian.' He points at my chest and I suddenly become aware of the red dots directly on top of where my heart should be. One wrong move and I am a dead man. But I have no time to think or care about my life. All I can think about is Evelyn. I hate to even imagine the danger she must be in right now.

'What have you done to Evelyn?' I demand furiously.

'Nothing permanent. At least not yet, that is.' He glances at his watch and finally has the audacity to face me eye to eye. 'You have 10 minutes to save her. If you don't, well…' he chuckles sadistically. A sickening sound. 'I think you and I both know what happens when humans and lethal doses of carbon monoxide mix.'

The red dots disappear from my chest and my former boss, Chen, opens the door. The adrenaline begins surging through me.

I bolt out and run to the entrance, sliding faster through the revolving door than normality would merit.

'Evelyn?' I yell at the top of my lungs. 'You there?' I wasn't expecting a reply. I knew I shouldn't. Yet my desperation was too great.

I couldn't bear it. My chest tightened and breathing became too difficult.

I scan the perimeter and run to the conference room. Within meager seconds I enter the excessively large room. '

'Can you hear me, Evelyn?' I yell as loud as my mouth allows; worry accompanying every syllable. My breath hitches since no immediate reply comes. Hastily, I look through the dark room.

The only light that came into the room seeped in through the windows, illuminating the white tile and consequently giving the ambience a phantasmal air.

Relief fills my heart as I catch sight of Evelyn's silhouette, gently draped on the floor. In what felt like the blink of an eye I am leaning at her side and lower my ear close to her mouth. No breathing came from it.

I listen to her chest for a heartbeat and feel her neck for a pulse, but there was still nothing.

Panic arises within me as I realize she has meager minutes to be brought back. I begin taking action and place my hand on her skin, tracing the outline of her jaw. I part her lips when my fingers reach her mouth.

Delicately, I crash our lips together and exhale two breaths into her, careful to make sure her chest is rising; then I continue with the required chest compressions.

I can feel my heart racing within me as I breath into her again. I look longingly at her shut eyelids which open suddenly.

Shocked, she gasps for air violently and dives forward in my direction. I cage her in my arms with great care.

We don't share any words.

Our heartbeats mirror due to our close proximity. Her face feels much colder than mine. I bring her close to try to give her warmth. She presses her forehead against mine and with desperation I crash our lips together, claiming a kiss from her.

She kisses me back hungrily and clings to the back of my neck with her arms.

'Are you trying to make me faint again?' She asks teasingly in between breaths. We both laugh and press our foreheads together. A single tear escapes my eye.

She wipes it off my cheek and kisses me tenderly. The usual feeling that courses down my spine becomes evident.

'I almost lost you.' I utter with a trembling voice. It would not have been more obvious that I was afraid of the fact.

'I… I don't… know what I would do without-' I don't have time to finish. She places her thumb on my lips. Apart from silencing me, the action soothes me.

'Don't worry, Killian. I'm still here.'