Chapter 22- Dragon Song

"Depends on your definition of trouble," The Shadow says with a smirk. "If you mean going to jail, then no. You're not in trouble. If you mean adding more time to your detention sentence, then no once again. You're not in trouble. But if you mean one last warning, then yes. You're in trouble, or very close to it anyway."

They all sigh a breath of relief in an almost stereotypical fashion.

"Hey, before you thank me, it's less of a kindness and more of a..."

"A what?" Poppy asks, her eagerness for answers overcoming her fear.

"A favor."

"Thank you," Alwin mutters, leading the officer away from the others before it can say anymore.

"Just be sure to clean everything up before you leave for the day," The Shadow warns as it walks away, leaving one question behind.

"Who called in a favor?" Poppy asks.

"I don't know," Sidney replies, mildly suspicious. "Let's not ask Alwin about it today. Everyone has their secrets and well, I don't think it's a good idea to mess with that one."

"Whatever you say." Alex interrupts, "But I'm just saying, there's something off with that dude. He's definitely hiding something."

"And you're not?" Poppy demands, defending Alwin.

"Hey, now. Let's not kill each other over it. This is why he said not to mess with secrets. It does things to people." Noah says. "Just try to focus on something else."

"Yeah," Sidney adds, "Like how close we came to getting arrested. We really need to be more careful."

"We're going to be punished," Alwin mutters, walking back to the group. "It's only a matter of time."

"What?" Riley yells, the reality of the situation only now getting to her. "We could've gotten arrested. Oh my god, we could've gotten arrested. We could've just been put in jail for who knows how long..."

"That's what I mean. We keep dodging the consequences and they always catch up to you. They always do."

"Hey!" Alex shouts angrily. "You're making her upset. Knock it off!"

"I'm just telling the truth."

"Well, maybe we don't need the truth right now. Maybe we need something that doesn't hurt others so much."

"Maybe it's time we take a break," Sidney intervenes. "We've all had a long enough day and I don't know about you, but I could go for some early dinner at the diner."

"Fine," Alex replies, angrily clawing at the closest bucket.

"What are you so mad about?" Alwin says, a cat-like smile on his lips. "You're the pig who loves food."

"I am no pig," He snarls, fire dancing in his eyes. Ice from Alwin's eyes meet his, and they clash silently for a moment before going their separate ways.

"Now, that's more like it!" Noah says, watching from a distance, unable to hear what they keep muttering back and forth to each other. "You know, a little bit more hard work, and we'll be done for the day!"

"Your optimism is sickening," Alex mutters.

"And so is your attitude."

"Why do you guys have to keep being so mean to each other?" Jordan murmurs quietly, no one hearing her. "Why do you fight all the time? Can't you see we're all in this together? That we're stuck with each other? That we're- Oh, never mind. It's not like anyone's listening anyway."