𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐢 𝐬𝐞𝐞- mileven (au) pt. 2

word count:
862

warnings:
angst, bad writing, one swear word

summary: the party lives in a world where women are born without seeing color, but see color depending on the emotion their soulmate makes them feel when they meet, and sees all colors when they connect. eleven knows that mike is her soulmate, but she keeps to herself.

that is, until a certain someone named rachel makes her vision go pure green

a/n: based on dear-selena 's series on tumblr :)
{modern au}
{soulmate au}
[told in eleven's pov]

✧✧✧

"I'm serious! The dog just let it out on the sidewalk and some poor kid stepped in it, thinking it was ice cream!" Mike laughs loudly, and my vision shifts into a soft pink.

"Oh my god!" I let out in between laughs.

Days when Mike and I would just talk on the phone for a while were my favorites. We usually didn't stay on one topic for too long, bouncing around and saying whatever comes to our minds. It was always calming to me, especially after a long day at school.

After we calm down, a question pops into my mind. "Oh! Mike, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the Stellar Cafe after school tomorrow to study for the math quiz?"

I hear him sharply inhale, and my vision flutters from pink to purple- signaling some fear.

"I'm really sorry, El. But I made plans to study with Rachel tomorrow! Apparently she's failing math and she wants my help. Can you believe that?" He asks excitedly, and my heart clenches, vision shifting into the green I had grown to loathe.

"Oh. Yeah that's great!" It takes everything in me to keep my voice even.

I couldn't blame him. Rachel was stunning, and as far as I knew, she was incredibly nice. I had no reason to hate her, but I felt so incredibly jealous whenever her name was mentioned. Knowing that Mike was developing feelings for Rachel once again made me feel incompetent.

It didn't help that Mike had not stopped talking to her since she reappeared at school a week ago. It seemed like his life soon began to revolve around Rachel.

"So, um... I have to go... Hopper is calling for me to do some chores." I quickly said my goodbye, and hung up before he could reply.

I threw my phone on my bed, and ran a hand through my hair, my breathing shaky.

I hated this. I hated whatever fate made females see color depending on one person. One person had their entire heart and vision in their hands.

And I hated that I was constantly seeing green.

✧✧✧

The next day during lunch, my vision had returned to the yellow I adored. Will was telling the story of how his older brother, Jonathon, had found out that Nancy saw colors around him.

"I was maybe... sort of... eavesdropping. I heard her tell him that she sees pink, and it took a while before Jonathon realized what she meant, and I heard him say how he was glad it was her." Will smiles, as everyone at the table (excluding Mike) coos.

"I knew something was going on between them." Mike mumbled, taking a long sip of his water.

"This whole girls seeing colors for their soulmates is a bit strange though, isn't it?" Dustin inquires, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah, like why can only girls see color with their soulmates?" Will asks, playing with his food gently.

"Because girls are smarter." Max states, her eyes glued on her phone as she read a tutorial for skating tricks.

"Hey, I was curious. El, have you seen colors yet?" Lucas asks, as everyone turns their attention to me, even Max, though her gaze is knowing.

"Uh, yeah actually. I have." I say softly, feeling my face heat up at Mike's intense gaze on my face.

"Wow, really? Do they know?" Will pipes up, smiling gently at me.

"Uh. No. I only see one color at a time."

"That's so cool! What color do you see right now?" Dustin asks, grinning at me as he bounces in excitement.

"Yellow. For friendship." I shrug, stirring my salad around on my fork.

"Wow. Why haven't you told them yet?" Mike finally asks, speaking up for the first time in a while.

I glance at him and quickly look away, feeling my cheeks heat up slightly.

"I don't want to force them into being with me. I want them to naturally want to be with me, I guess."

"You should just tell them." Max states, her voice stern. I had noticed how she has started to get frustrated with me for putting off telling Mike for so long.

"It's not that easy, Max. I don't want them to think I'm lying or leading them on. I don't want my soulmate to hate me." I emphasize the last sentence subtly, and Max sighs.

Suddenly, I notice Mike start to smile to himself, glancing at Lucas. "I wonder if Rachel sees colors around me. God, that would be great."

My vision shifts into green for what must have been the fiftieth time this week.

Lucas laughs, shaking his head. "You guys have known each other for a while, even before she moved away. I think she would have told you by now, Mike."

He frowns, staring at Rachel across the cafeteria. She turns her gaze to him, and smiles kindly. He awkwardly waves back, appearing to be in a trance.

"Doesn't hurt to dream, right?"

My vision flickers into blue, for sadness, a color I had never experienced around Mike. It soon turns back into green, and I cringe inside.

Fuck the color green.

✧✧✧

part two was requested a lot so i made it sooner than i had planned so excuse how bad it is 🤡

but i hope u enjoyed angst my dear readers, because ur in for an angst RIDE

love u all am ❤️❤️