Global Warming

hey whoever is reading this - this is the new beck we're going with.
✌🏻author
ps i know i have been bad at updating... pls don't stop reading 🖤

It didn't surprise me in the least bit to find out that Abby, out of all of us, had been the only one to grab her bag. A few of the others had been able to find suitable bags to put their things in, but Ben and Adam seemed partial to not carrying one, and Michael couldn't find any so he put some of his things in with Abby's bag.

I was out on a mission to find more arrows before we left the house. We'd stayed one night, deciding that everyone needed to get some rest.

The bedroom Trish had found the bow in had only had about five arrows, and I knew I would need more than that. I found myself wandering towards the garage.

Clarke had already been to the garage and found a gas can and some other things that she deemed important, but I wasn't sure she'd looked for anything like arrows. So off I went.

The garage was colder than it was outside by several degrees. There was a small car parked inside in one of the two spots, and the rest of the garage was organized with boxes strewn about and things hanging off of the walls. There was a ladder that led up to a top part, but I decided to start with the boxes first.

The others were working on packing the cars better, so that we could sit comfortably and still have the supplies that we needed. In the corner of the garage there was a half empty case of water. I took note of it mentally, to grab if nothing else.

The first box contained random things that looked like they were going to dispose of or give to some sort of thriftshop. I moved on to the next box, finding dishes. I went on like this for a while, going through every box only to find nothing useful. Most of it seemed to be extra things that didn't have a specific place in the house yet. Or maybe it was all meant to be donated.

I closed the most recent box, shutting a bunch of hot pads and hand towels back away. I couldn't imagine having so many unlabeled boxes laying around, if they were mine it would have drove me insane to not know what was in what box.

Heights don't scare me, but falling does. I had this insane fear that the ladder would topple over as I climbed it to the little upper landing. As I reached the top of the ladder, my knuckles white on the handles, I realized there was no way Clarke had checked up here for anything.

The first clue was all of the undisturbed dust, and the second was the quiver full of arrows that was leaning up against a safe and some more boxes. I pulled myself further up the ladder until I could crawl onto the landing. My pants gathered the dust, but I didn't pay attention as I reached the quiver.

About fifteen to twenty arrows were sitting in the quiver. I looked around for more, but only found the one. I also spent several minutes messing with the safe, trying to figure out if it was miraculously left open for some reason. It wasn't.

By the time I'd climbed back down the ladder and made it to the door of the garage, Sam was opening it while I still reached for the knob.

"Oh," he said, looking surprised, "I was just looking for where you ran off to. I was worried you might have gone off outside alone," he looked over my shoulder, "did you find anything interesting in there?"

I shook my head, "not really," I moved to the side so that he could see a little better, "mostly just junk. I did find some more arrows though. They were put up, so I guess the five Trish found were probably used for practicing or something."

He nodded, "probably."

We were silent for a moment, before he cleared his throat, "we're getting ready to load up and leave. Trish went out with Beck to go hunting a little bit. I don't know what they think they'll find, but it's better than not doing anything, I guess."

"Didn't you want to go hunting with me?" I asked, wondering why he would want to if he thought it was pointless.

Sam tilted his head and smiled at me, "well yeah. We'd probably find something, but Becky? Come on. He's not a born hunter. Plus we could take Leo, he's good at finding and killing things."

I laughed, unconsciously playing with the necklace I wore, "that would definitely give us the advantage," I admitted.

He smiled again, bigger this time as he stood up straighter, "I even taught him how to kill and not eat or ruin. He brought me a rabbit with a snapped neck one time, but the neck was just snapped. He didn't even rip the fur or anything."

I'm sure I made a face then, and it was Sam's turn to laugh.

"Sorry, you probably didn't need that mental image."

I shrugged, "I've dealt with worse things. Zombies for example."

Sam rolled his eyes at me, but nodded along, "Oh yeah, I think I've seen a few of those around lately. Wonder what that's about. Must be global warming."

I smiled, and together we walked back inside. The others were walking in and out of the front door. They left it open, not bothering to shut it as they were going in and out so often. It also wasn't like the church and being heated.

"I'll be right back," Sam said, and went out the front door.

I felt awkward. Even though I'd planned to go outside anyways, I felt like Sam might think I was following him. Like because he'd excused himself and went outside, that he'd claimed that direction somehow. So instead, I walked to the living room. I found Ben and Adam arguing there.

They stopped as I walked into the room, looking up at me at the same time.

"Sorry," I said quickly, turning to leave.

"No, you're fine. Actually, care to be a tie-breaker?" Adam asked.

I looked from him to Ben, and back. I took a step further into the room and closer to the boys. I regretted it instantly, even as I said, "Sure, what's up?"

Ben grinned at me, he was about to say something when Michael cleared his throat from the corner of the room.

"Don't get the poor girl involved in your stupid games, guys."

Adam pouted, "Ah come on, it's all good fun."

"Unless she chooses Ben's side," Michael countered.

Ben smirked, and looked at me. "Don't worry, it wasn't that important. Next time though, right?"

I nodded mutely, thinking to myself that I would run away any other time I found them in a debate. Adam picked up a stack of blankets and carried them outside while Ben plopped down on the couch and Michael walked towards the kitchen. I decided to follow Michael this time, not really knowing what to do or how to help right now.

My bow and the quiver were still in my hands, and my backpack was strapped to my back securely. Michael looked up from the stove he stood in front of. He was putting some sort of food onto a glass plate he'd found in the cupboards.

"Come to help?"