Chapter 10: Surprise

Week 7 - Friday Night

Olivia slammed the dorm room's door back into its latch as she stormed into the living room looking for Marley. With the chaos of the fire drill she had lost Marley in the crowd before deciding to look for her in their dorm.

"Marley!?"

"Yeah?" Olivia heard her muffled voice coming from down the hallway. She went down the hallway and came in front of Marley's door and turned the handle opening the door. Olivia mouth was hanging open at the sight. She didn't know whether to laugh or slam the door shut. Marley was pushing her hands onto a guy's chest that Olivia had never seen before. The guy was peppering kisses along Marley's neck as his hand sat on her upper thigh.

"I—." Marley started to say but Olivia gripped the door handle harder and pulled the door shut once again and let go as if it burned her. Seeing them together caused the memories of her night with William to come rushing back as if it had happened not even five minutes ago. She stood their staring at the plain white door as she heard muffed voices.

"I need to go see Olivia," Marley was saying.

"No, stay here, we haven't seen each other in months and I came down to surprise you," the guys voice countered. Olivia assumed it was Evan as she turned on her feet and made slow steps back into the living room unsure of where to go, where to escape her thoughts. Olivia was rubbing her temples leaning against the kitchen counter when intimate noises were beginning to sound down the hallway immediately making Olivia's decision for her. She grabbed her purse and left the dorm.

The chilly air bit at Olivia's face as she began to wander away from the college daydreaming as she walked along the sidewalk. As she slowed on the sidewalk she recognized a bus stop in front of her and sat inside the glass both waiting. Eventually the bus rolled up and she boarded. The stop and go of the bus was making her queasy but she tried her best to ignore it and focus on where she was going. She was looking for familiar sightings. The florescent lights on the bus were beginning to sting her eyes as she squinted out the window one more time and finally saw the coffee shop she visited the morning of the New Year, and signaled to get off the bus.

She stood in front of the cafe but gazed to her right looking at the only apartment building around. She took a deep breath and began walking. The apartment was towering in front of her, steadily growing larger as she got closer. She swallowed through the nervousness she was feeling. The awkwardness of the situation.

How can I come to his place and ask to spend the night? She eased her shaking legs up the front walkway and just when she was nearing the calling box, someone was leaving and she abandoned the idea of calling up. She reached for the door as she passed the person leaving gave a smile. The girl nodded and continue on her way. She looks familiar. Shaking her head she made her way through the dimly lit foyer and to the elevators. 

Once on the top floor she made her way over to Dale's and William's apartment door. Not much time would have passed since William had dropped her off. Maybe an hour and a half but she was not sure what she was expecting. With her fist raised to knock she caught the end of a conversation that was a bit uneven.

"It's different..." the first voice trailed off and Olivia inched closer to the door.

"It's complicated that's what it is. That's why you're like this. This is what happens when you don't put a condom on man!"

"I-."

"Look don't bother explaining, you got yourself in this one. Get yourself out but don't play with her."

"What do you mean?" the first voice slurred, "I don't play around."

"We'll see," just then the door in front of Olivia opened and she took a shocked step backward and looked up into the face of Dale. "Olivia. Hi."