Five

I stretched my legs across the warm sand and adjusted my sunglasses that was sliding down on my nose. I took a long breath and inhaled the scent of the sea as I closed my eyes and felt the sand beneath me.

The memories are flooding back again and I really don't want to remember any right now, I just want to hear the waves splashing against the shore as it takes me away.

But I cant.

Because all I could hear right now is my slow breathing as I remembered what I used to here; Sitting beside Nick under the sunlight with my hand in his.

That was five years ago, why cant I forget it? It was young love and it seems weird for me to reminisce about it, and somehow wanting it back.

"Hey," A voice called behind me and I opened my eyes instantly and turned around to see Nick standing behind me. He stood casually with his hands in his knee length cargo pants pockets and a pair of flip flops. Yes, he's wearing a shirt. Shame.

"I thought you weren't coming down," I pointed out as he sat beside me, just like old times.

He shrugged and turned to me with a smile as I pulled off my sunglasses "Changed my mind," He replied simply and I smiled at him before turning away to look at the sea.

"So you're just sitting here? Chilling?" He asked making me turn to him again. "Yeah, I don't want to do anything else knowing there's going to be a storm later." I said and he nodded.

"Are you trying to get a tan or..?"

"No," I exclaimed with a chuckle "God, no, I can do that in California, here I just want to relax." I said as I stretched my arms and placed it behind me to support my weight.

"Why did you even ask? are you disappointed you didn't get to see me in a bikini?" I teased as he turned to me in surprise. What did I just fucking said?!

"I mean-"

He broke off into a loud laugh. Wait, what?

"You haven't changed at all!" He exclaimed as he stared at me adoringly and began to chuckle. "Wow," He sighed "Time flies, doesn't it?" He continued, his eyes never leaving my face.

"Yeah," I replied quietly before looking away from him. "I mean, everything just keeps fading and passing away, and one day everything just became nothing but a memory." He continued.

"Look at us," He says quietly and I instantly turned to him "When was the last time we were here? Five years ago? We we're in this exact place, in this position but things didn't stay the same. We grew apart."

What he said send me to chills. We did grew apart but what is he getting at? "What are you trying to say?" I asked in concern as he glances at me and back at the sea. "Nothing, I just, do you ever wish thing didn't change?" He says.

Is he saying he wishes we we're like we used to be?

"Between us?" I asked and he looked at me in shock before his expression soften. "Well, honestly-"

Before he could say anything, droplets of water began pouring down on us and we looked up to the sky instantly.

"Oh, shit." Nick mumbled under his breath "We better get inside," Nick said as he stood up and extended his hand for me to take, which I did and Nick pulled me up to my feet before I walked behind him back to the cabin.

The rain was getting harder but compared it to the pace of my beating heart, it was nothing. Nick was holding my hand in his tightly and I was walking behind him as my back collided with his chest every once in a while.