34. cornelius fudge

     HARRY, RON, HERMIONE AND HARPER HAD ALWAYS KNOWN THAT Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures

     HARRY, RON, HERMIONE AND HARPER HAD ALWAYS KNOWN THAT Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures. During their first year at Hogwarts, he had tried to raise a dragon in his little wooden house, and it would be a long time before they forgot the giant, three-headed dog he'd christened Fluffy. And if, as a boy, Hagrid had heard that a monster was hidden somewhere in the castle, Harper was sure he'd have gone to any lengths for a glimpse of it. He'd probably thought it was a shame that the monster had been cooped up so long, and thought it deserved the chance to stretch its many legs, Harper could imagine the thirteen-year-old Hagrid trying to fit a lead and collar on it. But Harper was equally certain that Hagrid would never have meant to kill anybody.

Again and again, Ron, Hermione and Harper made Harry recount what he'd seen.

"Riddle might have got the wrong person," Hermione said. "Maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people . . ."

"How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?" Ron asked dully.

"We always knew Hagrid had been expelled," Harry said miserably. "And the attacks must've stopped after Hagrid was kicked out. Otherwise, Riddle wouldn't have got his award."

Ron tried a different tack as Harper just listened to them in disbelief.

"Riddle does sound like Percy—who asked him to grass on Hagrid, anyway?"

"But the monster had killed someone, Ron," Hermione said.

"And Riddle was going to go back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts," Harry added. "I don't blame him for wanting to stay here . . ."

Ron bit his lip. "You met Hagrid down Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?"

"He was buying a Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent," Harry said quickly.

"Are you all kidding me?" Harper spoke up, in disbelief. "Do you really believe that Hagrid opened the Chamber?" She shook her head. "I cannot believe it. Anyone but Hagrid."

The four of them fell silent.

"Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?" Hermione carefully asked.