18

It was twelve midnight, Asiya was restless and couldn't sleep. Khalid had just finished working on his laptop. He went into the bathroom, washed his face and sat on his side of the bed. He pulled the duvet up to his waist and turned to face a restless and worried Asiya.

"What's wrong my queen?" He asked as he caressed her face.

"I'm just wondering why Hafsat would do such a thing. I mean what could her aim be? What have i ever done to her?" Asiya lamented.

"I told you from the start that i never trusted her. You are too gullible, i didn't want to hurt you too much. Allah alone knows what she has up her sleeves. We must find out," Khalid said.

"I'll visit her tomorrow morning In shaa Allah,"

"Better do, we have to see the doctor tomorrow at 2 okay?" Khalid reminded her.

"Love, i'm tired of this please, we both know chances of me conceiving again are very slim and it will endanger my life so pl..."

"We have to keep trying! Or would you prefer i marry again!?" He yelled at her angrily.

"I'm sorry i didn't mean to hurt you. All i was trying to say was i need time, some few months before i..."

"Take a year, for all i care!"

"But..."

"Goodnight," he said coldly and turned away from her to sleep.

Asiya silently wept and turned away too.

xxx

The alarm set at 5 woke Khalid up. He went to the bathroom and performed ablution ready to go to the mosque. When he came out of the bathroom, he realised Asiya wasn't in bed, he then spotted her in the walk in closet on her prayer mat, in tears.

"Oh no! What i said last night must be bothering her," he said silently.

He walked over to her and knelt beside her, looking deep into her eyes.

"You didn't sleep last night did you," He asked and she shut her eyes tight signalling to him she didn't.

"Look, I'm sorry i know i said a lot last night that might have hurt you. I should understand your plight, I'm sorry my love,"

She hugged him really tightly for about two minutes before letting go.

"I thought for a moment you were going to leave me i was really scared."

Khalid chuckled. "I know. About the second wife thingy right?" He laughed again. "Don't worry, i won't do that,"

"Khalid. What if i never get pregnant? Won't you ever marry another woman? I know how desperate you are to have a child, but i can't give you one. If you really want to, you can marry again, i won't deny you your rights,"

"Subhanallah shhhh, stop talking like this. Allah will bless us with a  child very soon, keep your trust and hopes in Him." He hugged her. "Now look, you've made me late with all your crying, kai women hmm,"

"Let's pray together then," she laughed.

xxx

Aisha, Mama's niece and Khalid's cousin had come to stay after Amirah's wedding. She'd just graduated from Zamani College in kaduna and was going to Nile University. Instead of paying extra for hostel, her parents arranged for her to stay with her aunt and every one was okay with it.

She'd just served breakfast and called everyone to the dining. Mummy showed up uninvited to have breakfast with everyone.

"Where's Safiya? She's not here with you," Mama asked.