•F O U R•

♪ Excuses, boy I got a lot of themReasons, why I am the way I am ♪{Jojo feat

Reasons, why I am the way I am ♪
{Jojo feat. CHIKA—Sabotage}

For her Senior year, Harriet's room upgraded from a tiny broom closet to a... less tiny broom closet. And she still had no window, but on the plus side, it was across from Esther's.

"Oh... well, it is better than last year, no?" said Esther, after knocking on Harriet's door and slipping in before she authorized it. Her school-dress—a fluffy magenta with so many frills she looked like a cupcake—swallowed her whole as she swished into the room. "You have some space to amble about."

"Yes, thank you for the observation," said Harriet, struggling to hide her discontent. She slid one last gown into her minuscule wardrobe, then forced the thing shut, groaning and grunting until the latch clicked. "How have your first weeks been?"

With a disgruntled sigh, Esther dropped onto Harriet's bed—supposed to be a queen-size, but it was not. "Difficult. Our etiquette classes are ten times harder than last year. Miss Bertillon will tolerate nothing short of perfect." She swallowed, and her bright blueberry eyes creased. "I hope she does not reprimand you in front of everyone. Your tardiness was—"

"—Sir Knowles forgave it." Harriet's throat turned dry.

Esther planted before her, hands clasped below her navel. "Come, let us fetch a spot of tea—they have a new blend from the south. I am certain it will... soothe you. And you can tell me all about your December."

Do I have to?

Harriet took Esther's outstretched arm and let her guide her downstairs, to the Dining Room beneath the stairs. The three mahogany tables were empty, thank goodness. But a few who loitered in the area spared no time in peeking at Harriet and erupting into the usual hushed rumors.

"Already?" She frowned at Esther as they chose the table at the farthest end of the room—close to the kitchens, should they need to escape in haste.

"Well," Esther winced as she fanned out her skirts, taking up several spots on the bench, "you were late. I imagine the news... traveled."

Air puffed up in Harriet's cheeks and she yearned to let it out in a loud huff. But with multiple gazes on her—Freshmen, a few Sophomores, a Junior, but no Seniors—she refrained. "How was your December? I would much prefer to not talk about mine."

Shooting through her mind were images of her father's secretive meetings and the shady not-so-gentle-men who flitted in and out of his office. Flashes of the staff rushing about at all hours of the day and night with odd-shaped packages and letters with seals she didn't recognize.

"Oh, it was fine. Father mentioned me going to court, again." A serving girl popped up to take their order. "Two cups of the special Earl Grey blend, please... and a plate of macaroons? Vanilla and strawberry?" Her puffy cheeks reddened as the servant scampered off to the kitchens.