15. DOUBT

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
[DOUBT]

"How are you a vegetarian werewolf?" Kai asked confusedly as he aggressively cut his steak

"How are you a vegetarian werewolf?" Kai asked confusedly as he aggressively cut his steak. The sound of the knife scraping the
plate made Molly cringe.

"Just because I'm a werewolf doesn't mean I have to eat meat." Molly responds.

"Yeah but don't you like—" Kai dramatically motions a situation where Molly would eat a someone's arm with his body.

"I don't eat people, Kai." Molly interrupts annoyedly.

"Speak for yourself." Kai says. Molly's eyes widened and she stopped chewing her the bite of salad she just took off her fork. Kai's eyes went bored. "I'm joking."

Molly immediately relaxed and continued to eat. The conversation fell silent as all she could think about was the fact that she had the grimoire and the vial hidden away upstairs without Kai's knowledge.

This was all she ever wanted— was to get out of here, leaving Kai alone to continue his much needed suffering for what he's done.

But she hated herself for feeling like she couldn't leave without him.

But she also had to remember that other's safety had to come before her feelings.

"Are you excited to get home?" He asked, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"What?" Molly asked.

"Are you excited to get home?" He repeats. "This is the closest I've ever gotten to leaving." He pauses. "I mean— other than when I shot you and Bonnie in the stomach to get the ascendant."

"Oh." Molly swallowed, thinking he had just caught her in her lie. "Yes."

Kai felt he was being annoying asking her so many questions, but that was the only way to get her to talk. She was being much more quiet than usual. "I assume you don't have a boyfriend waiting for you back home—"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Molly says.

"Well considering you tried to kiss me, and you wrote in your journal you miss your cat the most—"

"You're reading my journal?!" Molly asked, concernedly.

"Yes?" Kai says, in a tone that implied he hadn't done anything wrong.

"And I didn't try to kiss you— you came on to me." She defends herself. "But, no I don't." She says. "Have a boyfriend."

"Hm." He takes a bite off his fork. "Have you ever?"

Molly processes his question as she hesitates to tell him more about her past. "I had a thing with some girl a few years ago." She shrugs, she waited for some sort of response from Kai— but he looked unfazed. "But it didn't really go anywhere, it couldn't have." Molly continued. "I haven't talked to her in... years." She says, realizing how sad that was mid-sentence.

"Ah." Kai responds. "What was her name?"

"Rebekah." Molly sighed. "Other than her I haven't really had a real relationship. I don't even know if I would consider that one real either." She scoffed, then shook her head. "I don't know why I'm telling you this."

"Because I'm the only person that actually gives you the time of day." Kai says immediately after, with no hesitation. Molly clenched her jaw. She wished he was wrong, but she knew he wasn't. "Your friends kinda suck, huh?" He frowns.

Molly narrowed her eyebrows at him. "You don't know anything about them." She responds.

"I don't need to know anything about them to know that you're not happy around them." Kai says. The conversation taking a serious turn.

Molly paused. "I don't really think I'm 'happy' around anyone." She says, her words coming out a lot more depressing than intended.

"That's not true." Kai says after a pause.

Their eyes lingered on each other. And for the first time, Molly could come to terms with the fact that she really did feel happy around him. She knew she shouldn't, but not only did she feel happy— she felt safe.

She broke the silence. "I'll clean up." Molly says, grabbing her and Kai's plates and standing up from the table.

"Let me help." Kai says, standing up too.

"No, that's really okay." Molly responds, she walks over to the sink and turns on the water to wash them. The calendar hung beside the window catches her attention.

In the real world, it was February 12th.

Molly felt her blood run cold. "Seven months." She spoke, her eyes glued on the date Kai had yet to cross out to keep track.

"Eighteen years." Kai sighed. Molly glanced behind her to see him staring at the calendar too, and she turned back to face it.

The devil and angel on her shoulders presence grew stronger.

But she ignored both of them, and made her own decision.

She spun around and faced him. "We're getting out of here." She said confidently. "Tomorrow."

Kai narrowed his eyebrows at her. "How?" He asked confusedly.

Molly took a deep breath. "I don't know how, but, earlier at Bonnie's grandmother's house— Bonnie was there. I couldn't see her or anything— but she left me a note, and the grimoire. And a vial of her blood." She swallowed. "We don't need a Bennett witch we need Bennett blood."

Kai didn't say anything. He just continuously looked confused. Molly grew confused too, as everything sounded like it made sense? Maybe it didn't.

Kai leaned back on the counter behind him, and his confused expression quickly turned into a smirk. "Congratulations, Molly Denver." He began proudly. "You passed my test."

Molly cocked her head to the side a bit and narrowed her eyebrows. "What?" She spoke quietly.

"Bonnie was never here." Kai says. "I put all that stuff there."
Molly felt a knot grow in her throat. "I wanted to make sure I could really trust you. And I can— so, yay."

"So—" Molly felt her lips begin to tremble. "They aren't... actually looking for me?"

Kai took note on how that was the first thing she noticed. "No." Kai responds.

Molly clenched her jaw in an attempt to keep a tear from falling. "And we really can't leave tomorrow?" She asked quietly. Molly shook her head and the tear finally fell. "I can't believe I was dumb enough to believe all this shit." She scoffed. "I can't believe I was dumb enough to think they were actually still trying to get back to me."

"Well..." Kai begins, unsure how to comfort her. "I have good news."

Molly breathed heavily. "What now?" She said angrily, mad at how he gave her false hope.

"We're still leaving tomorrow." Kai smiles.

"How?" Molly questioned, suspiciously.

"What I wrote in that note was true." Kai says. "I just need Bennett blood. And that is her blood." He began. "I used to spell to extract it off the cave floor from when I shot her with the arrow." He tapped his temple with his index finger with a smile.

"I don't believe you." Molly responds.

"You don't have to believe me." Kai says. "But we're leaving tomorrow whether you do or not."