two.

sessions & first impressions

26/07/18

Like any other busy morning at Melwood, the Reds were already hard at training doing their usual warm-ups which were being led by Jordan. Normally, Klopp would have been watching the players as they trained but today he was nowhere in sight which left his players confused.

The players got themselves into groups to complete their stretches. One group held Virgil, Gini, Joe, Jordan and the youngest of them all, Trent. "Does anyone know where Klopp is at?" Gini was the first one to speak up.

"I don't know where he is, but I saw him this morning and it seemed like he was in a rush—like he was expecting someone," Virgil replied as he worked on his legs. "I saw some reporters as well."

"Maybe we're expecting another player," Joe suggested.

Virgil nodded. "Yeah. Now that I think about it, coach did say that after Alisson there would be another player coming to Liverpool. I wonder who he is."

Suddenly, Joe stopped all of his movements. "Wait a minute, have you guys seen the rumours about the football player, Wynter Reyes? Maybe, just maybe, she's the player that's being transferred!"

"Why would Klopp bring a girl onto the team?" Trent asked with an adverse tone. He didn't mean for his voice to seem so negative but unfortunately, what he said was what he said.

"Why do you sound so against the idea?" Jordan questioned. As the captain of the team, he already knew about the female transfer since Klopp told him in advance. Heck, he'd the chance to meet the player just after she'd signed her contract and spoken to the press. So since she was going to be new to the team, he felt as though it was his job to make her feel welcome and assistant her within future backlash that she may face. Even if it meant talking some sense into some of his own teammates.

"I'm not. I'm just sceptical about the idea of having her on the team, that's all." Trent spoke in defence.

"Well, what a way to word it, huh?" Gini laughed, causing Trent to send him a glare.

"Seriously Trent? You're sceptical about the Wynter Reyes? She won the World Cup and you want to tell us that you're sceptical?" Joe scoffed. "I don't know about you guys but I'm excited. A new addition to the team that finally isn't a guy. We need a change around here."

"I mean, that's not why you should be excited Joe but okay," Virgil chuckled before the group continued their stretches in peace.

Trent huffed to himself as he got up from the grass, moving onto a different part of his body. It wasn't like him to act so defensively in a situation so sensitive like the one he'd just been involved in. Although he had only grown up with brothers, his mother always taught him better than the way he had just conveyed himself to his teammates.

And anyways, Trent couldn't understand why Wynter was needed on the squad. After the devastating Champions League final defeat, it was known to everyone that Jürgen was going to make necessary adjustments and regrouping in the team. And in the end, that's exactly what he did by bringing in Alisson, Naby, Xherdan and Fabinho. So why was it necessary to bring in another player with the Premier League inching closer as the weeks passed?

He wouldn't exactly call himself a feminist due to the way the media displayed that title. However, Trent had nothing, absolutely nothing against women. Since forever, he believed that women and men should all be on the same level of equality and both genders should accept each other for the qualities that made them differ—more men towards women than vice versa. 

But now when he was unexpectedly put into a situation where he would have to come face to face with testing his judgement on others, his mouth was spitting out harsh words, quite the opposite of what his thoughts and beliefs preached.