Chapter 1

Chapter: 1

It was too late to worry about panicking, because I was definitely panicking. My rapid breath shown in the freezing night air, slightly blurring my vision. My pleading lungs screamed in protest, but I still pushed forward. It was a late October night, cold and merciless. I had gone out for a late night jog near the nearby woods, and what seemed like a perfect night turned into one of the worst nights of my life.

I was jogging down a path I knew all too well. I heard them before I saw them, there were about four of them in all. They were men all about 6'4", huge and muscular. One of them grabbed me from behind, pinning my arms together in an uncomfortable position behind my back. I tried to get away, only succeeding by bashing the back of my head into my attackers face. He screeched in pain, a blackish color spurting from his nose. This only accomplished an immediate response by the others; they all jumped on me at once. They smashed me and ripped out my hair in the process. My screams for help and my begging accomplished nothing. They finally succeeded in pinning my arms behind my back once again, another sitting on my legs, making it impossible for me to move. My mind raced, expecting the worst. I gave up my struggles, and sat there panting. The thing that surprised me most was, they weren't even doing anything, just sitting on me. Then another man came along, and they all stiffened. I watched as he stared at me, with a stupid grin on his face. He licked his lips and leaned down closer to me, he smelled badly of whisky and cigars. He slowly stroked my face, I whined in protest. He smiled wickedly and let his hand go lower, almost touching my breasts. I screamed in protest, he stopped surprised at my outburst. He glared and told me to shut up and be a good little girl or he would do it for me. I did as he said, terrified at what he might do to me if I didn't. He then proceeded as he did before, stoking me as if he had never seen a woman before. Tears slid silently down my cheeks. He made his next mistake by roughly pushing the man that held my feet off of me. He got on top of me and tried to take off my shirt, but instead he got a swift kick in the balls. He fell over with a scream, curling in a ball beside me. I quickly rolled to the side, the surprised man behind me losing his grip on my arms. I quickly rolled to my feet and kicked the man in front of me in the jaw just as he reached out to grab me. My freedom didn't last long, for just as I took a step foreword I was pulled down to the ground by my ankles. There was a popping sound, then a searing pain from my wrist.

I screamed in pain, as I felt the figure sitting on top of me swiftly removed, followed by a loud thud. I was gently pulled to my feet, and came face to face with a boy with the face of an angel. I swore I had died and gone to heaven. He had the most beautiful white hair that blew in the wind, smooth pail skin, and green eyes that sparkled in the moonlight. I stood there stupidly for a second, just staring into his eyes. What beautiful eyes. It was only when he turned to punch a man advancing on us that I seen the dark red scar on the left side of his face. I suddenly became aware of four other figures like him; they were all fighting the men that had attacked me. I stood there dumfounded, not quite sure where they had come from. I stood there in awe; they seemed to fight with such grace and little effort. There were three boys, and one girl. They were all dressed in a grayish colored shirt and pants that fit them tightly. They had no definite emotion; as if this was something they did everyday.

The reality of the situation suddenly hit me, what were these people doing here? Why were they saving me? And most importantly, who are they? Not sticking around to find out, I turned and ran full speed into the forest away from the ongoing battle. My legs stung from the cuts and bruises, my wrist screaming in agony. My screaming lungs were pleading for me to stop, but of course I ignored them. My fear took over my whole body; all I thought about was getting out of there. I ran until I reached the edge of the forest, then I faced my next problem. How on earth was I ever going to find my dang car? I walked for what seemed like miles, my whole body now ached. When I caught sight of my car, it was like the happiest moment in my life. I quickly got into my car, but was faced with a new problem. I had dropped my keys. After many minutes of yelling and swearing, I slowly hotwired the car. Yes, it may seem odd but it's something I learned how to do when I was young. My tires screeched as I sped off into the night, I drove full speed toward home. But as I was driving around the corner, I could have sworn I saw ghostly white hair flowing in the wind.....