Chapter 11 - Hungry

The afternoon in the cafe is really busy again and Jo and Jake work hard to keep all the guests happy. As always they work together like they have been doing this for years. And all the guests go home well fed and happy. 

Jake turns the volume of the radio up after the last guest leaves and they clean together, singing along to old rock songs. Pretty soon the cafe is clean and all set up for the football match later. 

Jo walks into the kitchen and sits down. She puts her feet up on the table, leaning back in her chair. 

Jake walks in and asks: "Pizza?" 

Jo nods, stretching out for a yawn. 

Jake says: "Since Ronnell is not coming tonight, all I have to offer is pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches. And chicken wings later tonight obviously." 

Jo smiles, knowing all to well she will be the one frying those chicken wings. And that the guys think it's a different recipe. 

Jake asks: "Sooo, lots of cheese on yours, right?" 

"Yeah, cheese on cheese, under cheese, over cheese, between cheese." She laughs and Jake types something on his phone, looking a bit suspicious. "What are you up to brother? I see you there." Jake plays all innocent and Jo is too tired to press him for answers. On top of that Jake would never do anything she wouldn't like, so no need to worry. 

They sit in silence for a while, using the time to relax while they can.

"Do you want a beer Jo?" Jake pulls himself up to walk over to the fridge and takes three beers out of it, handing one to Jo. She is about to ask him about the third beer, when the door to the kitchen opens. 

Dart walks in, holding pizza boxes. "Someone ordered pizza?" 

Jo smiles at Jake and he winks at her, taking the boxes from Dart. Dart sits down next to Jo and kisses her, before taking the beer Jake hands to him. Jake opens one of the boxes and places it in front of her, Dart looks at the pizza in it with a shocked face. Jo giggles and happily picks a piece up and eats it. The boys both ordered the same pepperoni pizza and eat away at it, looking over at Jo devouring the pizza covered in cheese. Jake shakes his head and chuckles. 

"Don't even try to touch her pizza Dart, she will bite you at the very least. She is not good at sharing."

Jo glares at Jake and then starts laughing. "Yeah, not sharing and not sorry." She looks at Dart. "I'm very possessive over things I love." She finishes the pizza and rubs her stomach with a smile. 

Dart and Jake finish their pizza and drink another beer, talking about the football game. 

Jake turns to Jo and he sees a hint of worry in her eyes. "You know you can stay in the kitchen, right? You don't have to go out there. Your legendary wings are enough to keep the horde happy." 

Jo nods and looks down at the table. 

Dart places a hand on her leg and waits for her to look up at him, before speaking. "What's scaring you? Tell me." 

She takes a minute to find the words to explain it to Dart. "Well... A group of guys, excited and drunk doesn't make me feel safe. And even though they won't mean anything by it, I will most likely get scared if they try to grab me or if they say something... Well... I am not sure how to explain it really... But during the last game, they didn't know I was here. Now most of them know I work here." 

Dart listens to every word and sees the panic in her eyes. He might not fully understand it, but knows in his heart that it's really scary to her. He puts his arm around her and asks: "Do you feel safe with me?"