Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Thirty three

Chapter 33

I was right. He was there and my heart broke at the sight of him. His curly chestnut hair was a mess, falling across his amber-orange eyes. He was slumped against the wall, sat on the bare ground and had his hands wrapped around his legs. He looked deep in thoughts and his thick eyebrows drew together. His lips held a tiny frown and his eyes held a faraway look.

I plumped myself next to him and it seemed to catch his attention. Amber orange eyes never left mine. "How are you holding up?"

"I should be asking you the same thing. You taught her how to use guns and befriended her. She would have meant a lot more to you, than she would have, to me."

"But she was a part of this Clandestine, and every single one here means even more to you than yourself. You're a selfless hero. You hate letting people down. Her death would weigh a person like you down."

He searched through my eyes and eventually said nothing. He turned his head around, and continue to stare in space.

I said to him. "Someone once told me that you can't blame yourself for something you had no control over. I'm hoping you actually believe what you told me sometime back."

His lips twisted, but he still continued to stare at the walls in front of him. "People are blaming my administration on this. I got intel that they think my health care team is incompetent. How can people be so selfish, after the many things we've done for them?"

"Taye was loved by all. It would be hard for them to overlook this. I'm just concerned about Oge. I don't think she'll forgive herself."

"I'll talk to her. It must be hard on anyone to take and I don't want her to blame herself for it."

"Thank you. She needs that". I paused, and lightly touched his shoulders, when I noticed his gloomy look. This made him finally look at me. "It's going to be fine. I know it."

He finally admitted something, that had been eating him up. "I have a feeling I'd get overthrown soon."

"Vikram Caden would never let that slide."

"That would even make it worse."

"Then let them. Give yourself the chance to live for yourself."

He didn't say anything and it made me wonder if I said the right thing or made him feel worse.

.....
From my room I could hear loud chants echoing from outside and it seemed to catch the attention of Laurena, who asked. "What the hell is going on outside?"

I shrugged. "Let's find out."

We both went out of our room and followed the sounds from where the noise was coming from, and it led us to the grand hall. My stomach dropped, at the sight before me. A group of radiants were holding placards and making chants like "Taye deserved better. Improve the healthcare."

Laurena growled. "What the hell is this crap?"

"Too bad they're attracting quite a crowd." Their loud chants seemed to capture the attention of a lot of radiants, who were just standing in awe, at what they were doing.

"I wish I could rally them up and kick them out of the hall, but unfortunately, these dimwits have rights and we have laws that let them."

I could only sigh. Levi would surely know about this and the poor guy is already under so much pressure.

Kenny walked to the centre stage and her face held a determined expression. I frowned. So SHE was the one who started all these? Her sister's death must have made her tick.

It looked like she had a lot to say. Laurena and I shared concerned looks to each other, as we listened to the words of the bereaved sister. "Taye was my twin sister. We shared everything together and always stood by each other throughout her lifetime. When the security enforcers came to our family's home, they said they wanted only one of us. They took Taye, but I couldn't let her go through it alone, so I bid goodbye to my parents and brother, and went along with Taye. My parents understood that she couldn't be left alone and they let me go. That was the beginning of the many sacrifices I made to protect my sister."

She paused, then looked at the faces of the people chanting. "None of you have the rights to take advantage of her death and turn it into a personal vendetta. I can recognize Aliyah's supporters anytime of the day and I'm highly offended by what I'm seeing in front of me". Then Kenny turned her gaze to the rest of the radiants standing and watching in the back. "Taye's dead. It's hard to say it and even harder to accept myself that I'd never see her again, but that's how it is now. Throughout my life, I had always been afraid of this day, because I knew it was coming. It was something I was prepared for, but it still hurts losing her. I'm not blaming ANYONE, for her death, not even Taye herself, because it was bound to happen anyway. If anyone should be angry about her death the most, it should be me. You all only knew her for nine months or so, but she had been by my side for thirteen long years. This Clandestine has worked very hard this past year, to take care of all of us. What happened with Taye, is quite unfortunate, but pointing fingers won't change anything. Levi's administration is one of the best there is and he's putting everything he has, to make this work. Everyone knows how hard he works with the management of this place, but somehow you all let yourselves be ignorant and let bias cloud your judgements. The healthcare team are a group of hardworking workers who have to take care of over eighty people, and that can never be easy. So please, let Taye rest in peace and let's end whatever's going on. The funeral starts by nine am tomorrow and I'd be happy to see you all there" She paused, to glare at Aliyah's supporters. "Even you guys. Taye needs to be celebrated, even in death and I want to do just that. Thank you."

So I was wrong. She wasn't the one who caused any of the revolt, but she was hellbent on ending it. My eyes trailed to Kenny, as she confidently walked out of the hall, with unshed tears stinging in her eyes.