Epilogue: Be Still, Sage Connelly

And so you become something
despite the world having ripped so much away

SAGE CONNELLY

The Epilogue

because if there was one thing the world could not ruin

it was your desire to beat it.

SAGE CONNELLY had accomplished a lot in her life (well, a few things were more questionable than others) but she would have to say that the biggest success she'd had before her eighteenth birthday was teaching Isaac Lahey how to speak fluently in French. That was, of course, after she had to figure out how to say something other than the numbers and 'Bonjour!' to everyone she met. Her second biggest accomplishment was learning French herself and successfully annoying Chris every second she got with questions on new words. The spring of her junior year when she went through the pre-doctorate internship was, if she had to book it, the best time of her life. Not because she discovered a passion for healing others like her father, Hal, or because Chris Argent finally had her create a silver bullet like his family's tradition, but because it was the first time since she was eleven that happiness came to her without any cost.

Although she spent the last eight months away from everyone, she still talked to them weekly. Lydia called her every month via FaceTime, giving her updates on all of the things she was missing about classmates while she was away. She had been happy to hear that Malia was finally enrolled in high school (and hating math as much as Sage did), just as she screamed loudly in irritation to hear that Kira and Scott were still dodging bullets with one another around every turn. Scott received a very upset phone call from Sage after that (thankfully for him he came up with the excuse that he couldn't afford the international calls anymore).

She took the longest to finally talk to Stiles. It had been an accident―a hiccup, when she was trying to introduce FaceTime to Malia (a disaster in itself) and ended up being victim to the awkward video call with her and Stiles both. Sage learned the hard way that they were dating, and even though a heavy ounce of pain sprung on her heart, she couldn't deny that she was happy for them. Maybe she did find it odd how Stiles ended up with a girl so similar to her, but at the same time, she was relieved. Stiles deserved someone like Malia, and Malia was lucky to have someone as incredible as Stiles. Surprisingly, the news that her ex-boyfriend had moved on left like a weight lifting off her shoulders.

Sage did not learn until all of the events had already passed that another villain had come to Beacon Hills for her friends. The Benefactor―as he called himself―had actually been Meredith, the same girl she helped months ago. It was around that same time she received a call from Peter Hale giving her the news she dreaded for months about her mother, Mallory Connelly. Brunski lied about his threats, having done nothing to her mother but send her to an actual mental health facility in New Mexico under an alias.

There, her mother had been receiving treatment for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Imagine Sage's surprise to find that Peter had plans to continue making frequent visits to her mother when he could. That, of course, was severely impacted by an unexpected visit from Derek himself one morning in France when Sage and Isaac decided to try and self-dye her hair a darker color (it went really bad). Chris had since left on another 'business trip' and left the teenagers by themselves to survive. It was then that she discovered all her friends kept from her―from Scott's new beta, Liam (cue Sage paying for the international phone calls from there-on-out to yell at him) to Derek being turned back into his teenage self then proceeding to die on her again.