Chapter 8 - Coughing and Jazz

"Ow!" I groaned but stayed still

Naaja glanced up at me but continued her work. She very carefully removed the rest of the stitches and wiped my stump.

"It's healed well," she murmured and motion Dy to have a look.

"Yeah, the infection didn't get to do a large number on the skin."

"Exactly." Naaja smiled and looked almost proud of her niece. "What do we do now?"

"Keep it clean and use the ointment to keep the scar tissue from drying up."

Naaja nodded and held up a tub for me. "You have to use this in the mornings and in the night. It's very important, especially if you want your roprothesthics fast."

"Right. How long until I can get the prosthetic?"

"You'd have to talk to Huck about that. He'll be coming around later this week to take some measurements," Dy said. "Does it hurt anywhere?"

I shimmied a little, trying to see if there were any aches left. "No, I feel good."

"And how's your leg?" Naaja looked down at the scar, running her finger over it.

"Feels fine too."

"Ribs?"

"Same."

"Fabulous." Dy gave me back my trousers, and I was allowed to pull them on. I had never worn trousers before. Not really. But here everyone wore them. It was freeing not having to have to wear heavy dresses.

"I think it goes without saying, you should still take it easy though, right?" Naaja said and shot me a pointed look.

"Yeah, of course."

"And wear this." She held up a... Sock of some sort. "It's to protect your stump. Right now, the skin is still very sensitive. So just put this on after you've put the lotion on."

I gently slid it on and pulled my sleeve up a bit more.

"You don't want to pull your sleeve down?" Dy asked and sent me a smirk.

"It's not like a stump is gonna catch less attention than a sleeve just blowing in the wind." I shrugged a shoulder and wiggled my stump around a bit. Dy tried to fight a smile but she couldn't, and she looked adorable.

"I think we gotta get the hair situation under control too." She nodded towards the bird's nest that had taken up residence on my head.

"Yes, please! Help me."

"I was thinking I'd hand you a brush and you'd brush it."

"I've uh... Never done my own hair," I muttered. "Not to mention, I've only got one hand."

Dy raised an eyebrow. "Really? You've never done your own hair?"

"I uh... Had servants for everything. I've barely ever dressed myself before I came here."