Chapter 32

Chapter 32

(a/n: I know this is entirely unrealistic for all of you Wisconsinites and Illinoisans out there, but Summerfest is going to continue on until mid-July. I know that it ends on, like, the sixth of July, but just bear with me here. And I know Keith Urban didn't perform this year. In fact, I don't know if he's ever performed at Summerfest. Oh well. And for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Summerfest is the best kept secret in the world. Look it up)

Desirah's POV

I woke up the next morning with an extreme headache. It hurt like crap, and that's when I knew that I had gotten drunk last night. Despite all of my morals, I had drank too much and let the alcohol get to my head. I was so ashamed of myself.

Niall took care of me the entire day, bringing me cups of water and coffee, and making delicious meals in bed. He kept apologizing profusely about letting me get drunk, but I didn't blame him. I had gotten cocky, and it was my own actions that led me here.

Niall was also acting really strangely around me. I wasn't sure what I had done, since I didn't remember anything from that night, but it made me nervous. I had a feeling that he wasn't telling me something.

Niall and I tried our hardest to forget that night. We continued with the concerts and our songwriting sessions. I got increasingly excited about the Keith Urban concert, which was only a few weeks away. He was performing in the U.S., but that wasn't a problem. A week-and-a-half after my birthday, the boys and I were in America.

"I know we're nowhere near South Dakota, but it feels so good to be home," I sighed as my feet touched the airport's floor in Chicago.

"Do you miss being a normal person?" Harry asked me.

I shook my head. "Not really. Back when I was supposedly 'normal', I didn't have a lot of friends and nobody really paid any attention to me. But now that I'm somewhat famous, I have lots of friends and I'm noticed by almost everyone."

"You'll wish you weren't soon enough," Liam mumbled.

"I don't think Niall feels the same way," I giggled. "He loves the attention. Right, Niall?"

He was looking down and shuffling his feet into the ground. When I said his name, he looked up and mumbled, "Oh, yeah. Sure."

I frowned at him. "Hey, what's wrong with you? You've been acting weird lately."

"No, I haven't," he said defensively. "You've been acting weird. There's nothing wrong with me."

He stomped ahead, leaving me staring after him in surprise. He'd never really talked to me that way before. Was it something I said? Did I do something wrong?

"What's his problem?" I asked.

"Probably jet lag," Zayn said hastily. "Exhaustion makes everyone cranky. Don't let him get to you, Des."

"Okay," I murmured, but I still wasn't sure. He'd been mad at me since my birthday because of jet lag? No way, that couldn't be possible. This was our first plane trip.

We picked up our luggage and took a limo to a nice hotel. We were going to have a couple of concerts in Chicago, plus a week-long break. We were going to be in a stationary place for a while, and for that I was grateful. I was tired of all the traveling.

"We'll all share one room," Liam said at the counter, facing us. He gestured to all of the boys when he said that. To me, he added, "You'll have your own room, Desirah. Since you're a girl."

"Sweet," I said eagerly, grinning. I'd never had my own room before. It's kind of sad how exciting that was to me.

"We don't have any concerts tonight, but there is an early rehearsal," Liam informed us as we walked to the elevators. "So make sure you're at the stadium by 12:00pm."