Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23- Pub. August 1, 2019

“I’d like to see Aecha soon, anyways,” I said, peeking from behind Namjoon’s shoulder.

“Okay, Sujin, we can do that. I think it’d be good for all of us, ” Sejin agreed.

I sniffed and rubbed my eyes, sitting up straighter. “Are you sure he’s not, like, waiting outside the front door? Sejin, I saw him walking our way. I think he recognized me. After all, the last time he saw either of us was when you were taking me to my mom. He might think you kept me all these years.”

“Let me go take a sweep around the house, since you’re so worried, Sujin,” Yoongi volunteered, standing up.

“I don’t want to see him ever again.”

“But he’s your father,” Jimin said.

“Oh, yeah, sure, someone who kicks me until I pass out and tells me shut up if I even breath is supposed to be a called father, huh?” I asked, tears resurfacing.

“Sujinie,” Taehyung said soothingly as he came and sat on the couch next to me. He grabbed my small hands and held them inside of his as he looked me in the eyes. “Why didn’t you tell us about this earlier? I thought we established that you can tell us anything.”

“Because, Tae, as I told you earlier, I don’t remember much of anything before I was brought to the orphanage. I only remembered everything once Sejin brought the subject back up, especially since we were sitting in the same cafe.”

Taehyung nodded, “But you said you had been getting memories earlier as well. Why didn’t you say about those either?”

I gulped, “I told Jimin.”

Everyone’s eyes averted to Jimin, who pressed his lips into a thin line. Taehyung looked back at me.

“Ah, I’m hurt!” He slapped his palm onto his chest dramatically. I tried to smile at his attempt to lighten the mood.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t really know what was happening. I was sure I was going crazy or something. But I’m sure it was my father I kept remembering, and my mom, but of course there’s no proof it was actually her that I remembered…”

“Actually, there is,” Sejin said, pulling out his phone before handing it to me. On the screen, there was a beautiful picture of my mother in a field of roses. I smiled, seeing her beautiful face full of joy. The only things I could remember, were of her sad, sullen, and weighed down by her relationship with my dad. Seeing her smile gave me hope that maybe she could have enjoyed life at moments.

“What was her name?” I asked Sejin, passing the phone back to him.

“Chojin,” Sejin said. “It means beautiful. It fit her just right.”

“And my dad?”

“Seunghee.”

I nodded. We fell silent, and no one seemed to know what to say.

“Oppa,” I said, looking up at Namjoon. “I don’t want to go anywhere unless we know where he is. What if-if he takes me back,” I asked, tears coming back.

“We won’t let that happen,” Namjoon assured, hugging me. As if to answer my question, Yoongi entered the room.

“I mean, it’s been an hour since you saw him, so as expected, I didn’t see anything, except an interesting cap.” Yoongi held up the black baseball cap with the red logo while pinching his nose. “Smells like alcohol.”

“Where was it left?” I asked, avoiding looking at the hat.

“On the doorstep, why?”

“That’s not good, that’s really not good,” I mumbled, lifting my gaze towards the door.