Night the Lights Went Out

Start from the beginning

Everyone cheered at her wave and someone next to (Y/N) even congratulated her on the accomplishment.

(Y/N)'s heart hammered in her chest. "She actually noticed me..." she thought. She soon turned her attention back to the song and began to clap and sing along.

Throughout the rest of the concert, (Y/N) rode a wave of different emotions through Reba's songs. There were both sad and happy medleys along with signature songs woven in between. What she was waiting for was the finale. She'd never been to Reba's concert, but she knew not to leave early when it looked like she was gone for good.

Sure enough, minutes after she left the stage, she was back. In her red dress no less.

(Y/N)'s smile grew at her not having to let go just yet. She stood up to see, but soon others rushed forward since a bit of the venue cleared out. Soon there were so many people around her that she didn't know what to do. Her heart began to race and she looked around in panic. She couldn't get out. She couldn't escape.

Then everything turned black.

Gasps were heard from the crowd and Reba stopped mid-song. She looked off stage to see if she could get someone, anyone to get her down there to help.

Dress and all, she was given help in getting down the stage and into the crowd. Thankfully, the girl she saw wasn't too far away.

When she reached her, she tried to wake her up but there was no response. Reba looked to the security guard escorting her and asked if he could lift the girl, insisting that she needed to be taken somewhere safe.

The security guard nodded and swiftly picked (Y/N) up, bringing her backstage to Reba's dressing room. Reba followed closely behind.

Once (Y/N) was laid out on the small couch, Reba thanked the security guard and shut the door behind him.

"I've never done this before." Reba said aloud to herself as she paced the room a bit. "I hope she's alright."

She grabbed a nearby washcloth and carefully wet it with water from one of her bottles. Taking the now damp washcloth into both hands, she placed it atop the girl's forehead. Maybe that would help her come to.

Moments later, (Y/N)'s eyes began to flutter open. When she fully opened her eyes, she had no idea where she was. Looking around, she knew who she was with.

"Oh! You're up!" Reba exclaimed softly, not wanting to startle the girl. "Are you alright darlin'?"

"I-...I think so. Just, um...just a panic attack." (Y/N) replied, a heat rising on her cheeks from embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry. Those can be tough to deal with."

"How...how do you know?" (Y/N) asked, a sense of curiosity within her.

Reba chuckled and took a seat next to her. "I may look tough, but I am human ya know." she smiled. "Everybody goes through a lot of different things, like panic attacks, in their lives. There's nothing to be ashamed of."

"But I passed out. At your concert." she rebutted, hanging her head in embarrassment.

Reba sighed and took her hand to cup the girl's cheek, capturing her attention. "Let me tell you something. You have nothin' to be ashamed of. Not one thing. Panic attacks are perfectly normal. I'm sure you were put in a situation where you couldn't help it. It's no one's fault and it doesn't make you any less of a person. Okay...?"

Tears welled up in (Y/N)'s eyes at her kind words, nodding her head gently.

Reba smiled and moved to wrap her arms around the girl, hugging her tight.

(Y/N) was surprised at the gesture, but quickly reciprocated. Everything was going to be okay. She knew that now.

"Ya know, I never got your name through all the chaos." Reba chuckled, pulling back from the hug.

"It's (Y/N)."

"Well (Y/N), it certainly is nice to meet a sweet girl like yourself. The circumstances could have been better, but I'll take it." she smiled.

(Y/N) giggled and then looked her right in the eyes.

"Thank you for taking care of me. You really didn't have to do all of this."

"Sweetheart, it was no problem at all." Reba reassured her. "'Suppose my maternal instincts just kicked in and I knew I had to help. I was more than happy to."

Suddenly, (Y/N)'s phone vibrated in her pocket. She checked to see that it was her friend texting her and asking where she was.

"I guess that's my cue to go." (Y/N) said sadly.

"Why don't we get a picture before you go?" Reba suggested.

"I'd love that." (Y/N) grinned.

She opened the camera on her phone and flipped it around to face the front. Both smiled for the picture and soon it was saved to (Y/N)'s phone.

"Thank you again. For everything." (Y/N) smiled, teary eyed.

"Don't worry about it." Reba said, getting up with her. She pulled the girl into her embrace once more, giving a tight squeeze. "Remember not to let anyone make you feel less than just because you're goin' through somethin'. Everyone has their struggles and we turn out alright in the end. Just keep hope, have faith, and love with all you have. Promise me that, yeah?"

"I promise..." (Y/N) croaked out, a few tears slipping down her cheeks.

"Okay. Now...you better skedaddle before I make people think you're missn' from keepin' you so long." she chuckled.

"Alright." (Y/N) nodded, stepping out of her embrace and wiping her eyes.

"Maybe I'll see you again some time under better circumstances." she smiled.

"I sure hope so." (Y/N) smiled and gave a small nod in goodbye before stepping out of Reba's dressing room and closing the door.

"Sweet girl." Reba said aloud to herself, smiling.

(Y/N) finally made her way back to the venue's entrance where she found her friend waiting for her.

"There you are! Where were you? Why didn't you answer my texts?" Her friend questioned.

(Y/N) was looking through her phone and found the picture of her and Reba, moving it to a private folder for her eyes only.

"I was just talking with a new friend." she replied and placed her phone in her pocket.

That night (Y/N) rode home with a new sense of confidence and hope. She would always remember Reba's words to her and could never thank her enough for that night.