II. Two Similar Souls

Chapter Two:
Alex

Letting out a groan, I push open the double doors, finding the training room empty. On the grand tour of the palace a few days ago, his kingliness showed us this room. I saw the look of mischief in my sister's eyes the moment she laid eyes on this place. It was then I knew I was screwed.

The next morning she beat me with pillows until I crawled out of bed, having to suffer an hour of her kicking my ass until I could go back to bed. This happened the next morning, and the next, so today I decided to save myself the trouble and get here before she does. We haven't even been here a week, and she already has a routine: wake up at the butt crack of dawn, go to the princess's lab to stare at a Bucky-sicle, then try to make me an exceptional warrior like her. As if having superpowers wasn't enough.

The training room is filled with several black mats lining the floors, and every weapon known to the world adorning the walls. Plopping myself down on the mat, I make sure my shoes are tied. While I do that, the doors open again. Soroya walks in, tucking a strand of her hair back, looking very distracted.

"How's the not-so-figurative Winter Soldier doing?" I ask, but she doesn't find my comment very amusing.

"I've made some progress," She says, tying her hair back and grabbing two sparring sticks. "This time, I didn't have to go up and drag you down here."

I get up off the mat, catching the stick she throws my way. "I thought I'd save myself the trouble and just let you torture me."

"This is important," She says firmly. "Knowing how to fight can save your life."

"I have superpowers for that."

"You shouldn't rely on your powers. Your skills in combat could be what keeps you alive."

"She's right." I hear a voice say from the doorway. General Okoye stands with her arms crossed, her spear leaning against the wall. Something Wakanda has that makes it stick out is that the Kingsguard are all women. I found this very impressive. I could see how much Soroya felt empowered whenever one of them came into a room.

Okoye glances from me to Soroya, saying: "The King has given me the mornings off to look after you and your brother."

"They afraid we're gonna steal something?" I ask, receiving an unamused look from the general.

"Just ignore him," Soroya says with a shake of her head. "I'm grateful, General, but we are capable of looking after ourselves. You don't have to go through the trouble."

Okoye shakes her head. "It's no trouble. From the looks of it, you spend your mornings trying to train this one," she says, pointing at me with a mischievous twinkle in her eye, much like my sister's. "I could be of assistance."

"That would be great," Soroya says, a smug grin forming on her face. "I've been trying to teach him how to shoot as well as how to fight with spears and fists."

Okoye nods, excitement now in her eyes. "You and I can both teach him hand to hand combat. While you teach him marksmanship, I'll focus on spears."

I already can feel the pain I'm about to endure. These women are getting far too much enjoyment out of this.

The two agree that starting with hand to hand is the way to go. Okoye offers to fight me first, and Soroya gladly goes to the sidelines, watching the fight ensue.

Okoye doesn't go easy on me, not wasting a second before punching me square in the jaw.

Stumbling back a moment, I feel like she purposefully didn't tell me we were starting to punch me.