5. The First Flying Lesson

Y/N's POV

Today was the first flying lesson and I wanted to make a good impression. I already knew how to fly so I wasn't as nervous as the other students. Again, the lesson was shared with Slytherin and the teacher was Professor Hooch.

At breakfast, I could tell that Hermione was nervous since she reading all about flying tips in the book Quidditch Through the Years.

"Hermione, you do realise you can't learn how to fly out of a book right?" I stated, looking at the bushy haired girl.

"Yes of course I know Y/N!" she snapped. "I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible."

I sighed before turning to Harry and Ron, Ron rolled his eyes whilst Harry just looked at me. Just then, my family owl swooped down and landed gracefully where I was. There were letters for me and Issac. I petted the owl quickly before grabbing the letters. I passed the other one to Issac before opening mine.

Sorry for not sending this letter earlier, your father had a few problems he had to solve at the Ministry. How's Hogwarts? I'm assuming you like it there since I haven't received an angry letter from you yet. Is Issac looking after you well? How are the teachers? How are you doing in lessons? Your father and I are sending a small care package for you and your brother soon. It may be separate times but don't worry, yours will come first.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your first year and don't get into much trouble! We both miss you and love you Y/N.

Love,
Your mum and dad.

After ready the letter, I smiled before pocketing it in my robe. Neville was now showing off his Remembrall and Malfoy had appeared and snatched it. Luckily McGonagall appeared and he had to give it back.

At the flying lesson, I could sense nerves all around, most people probably had never tried flying before and some people may of never even seen a broom before. There were twenty broomsticks lying on the ground and we were instructed to stand by one. I picked a random broom and luckily it was near Harry and Ron.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom," called Madam Hooch at the front, "and say 'Up!'"

"UP!" I shouted as well as everyone else in the class. I was one of the few whose broomstick went into their hand.

Madam Hooch then showed us how to mount our brooms and the proper grip. I couldn't help but smirk when Malfoy was told he had been doing it wrong for years.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," said Madam Hooch, "keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle, three...two...one..."

I was preparing to fly but Neville was nervous and accidentally jumped way before the whistle blew. Madam Hooch was now frantic as Neville kept on going higher and higher. He was around twenty feet before he slipped and fell.

Madam Hooch rushed over and her face was now white. She told the class that she was taking Neville to the Hospital Wing.

"None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch.'"

We all just stood there before Malfoy and his friends started laughing and insulting Neville.

"Shut up Malfoy." I heard Pavarti, a Gryffindor in my year, say.

Pansy Parkinson said something back to Parvati but I wasn't paying attention, Malfoy had now gone and grabbed Neville's Remembrall.

"Give that here Malfoy." I said clenching my fists, he smirked at my reaction.

Everyone went silent and I could feel eyes on me. I had a feeling that this wasn't going to end well...