12

I stayed silent as he started the car, driving.

"I mean- you realize he was malnourished, he was unhealthy Aubrey-" "Yes, I realized that, and I fixed it" I spoke simply.

"What made you not tell anyone- like what told you that, that plan was best?" He asked.

"No one" I mumbled out, shaking my knee as I looked out the window- feeling almost butterflies in my stomach- it was the weirdest feeling

"If anything, why didn't you tell just us when you met us, you trusted us enough to let him stay at our house" he continued his rant, not giving me a break- which didn't surprise me

Ashton had never given me a break when it came to anything surrounding Nick.

I made myself stop listening so I could focus on breathing- realizing that I felt as if the car was getting rather small.

"What was your thought process?" Ashton finally went silent as I moved my hand to my chest, breathing slowly.

"I didn't want anyone to separate him- I was the only one who could protect him" I didn't lie and I spoke in one quick breath. 

"You weren't- we could've protected you both, we will protect you both"

As he spoke, I undid my seatbelt, gaining both of their attentions, but I didn't care- the restraint and smallness of this backseat was driving me insane for some small reason

"Aubrey- what's wrong?" The guy I didn't know spoke quickly, concern laced throughout his voice.

"I-I don't know" I felt my voice crack as I felt it harder and harder to breathe almost.

"She's having a panic attack, pull over" the stranger spoke.

It took a minute, but soon the stranger was in the backseat with me, pushing my head to my knees, holding my body tightly into his own, rubbing my back and talking to me quietly.

"No more fussing about this situation- it's over and it's handled, from this point on we will be happy about it."