In Name Only

The word slipped out before William could even think of the consequences that such a declaration would cause. 

Miss Atwell stiffened beside him and let out a strangled squawk under her breath, which was most unladylike. 

He cleared his throat, realizing too late what he had done. He glanced at Edmund, who joined them at the bulwark with Miss Lottie trailing after him. Edmund looked equal parts shocked and furious, but Miss Lottie blushed bright pink and her eyes rounded with surprise. 

Miss Atwell turned as red as her hair, and after the initial shock faded from her eyes, her nose scrunched up. 

William sensed she was about to give him quite the rebuke.

Edmund, despite his shock and apparent anger, reacted quickly and came to their rescue. "Lady Greyville, would you care to join me in a turn about the deck?" He grabbed Miss Atwell's arm and pulled her away as she began to protest.

Miss Palmer had grown pale and her lips pursed. "I must offer you my congratulations, Lord Greyville. How very . . . sudden." Her father nodded and raised an eyebrow disapprovingly.

William's mind was racing, desperately trying to invent a story to support his lie, his one chance at preserving his reputation and cover. 

"Er, well . . . yes. We knew each other as children, you see, and we were quite fond of each other. We've written for years and fell in love. Her father, God rest his soul, grew ill suddenly, and it was his dying wish to see us married before his passing. It meant breaking with tradition, of course, but I have never been one for big weddings, after all." The lie came quickly and easily to his lips, but he glanced beyond Miss Palmer's head.  

Miss Atwell glared at him over her shoulder at him with fury etched across her pretty face. 

Oh, he was going to pay for this; he was sure of it. He just hoped he survived her tongue-lashing.

***
Fidelia's hands shook with anger. As if it weren't bad enough that she had been forced to flee her home and watch it burn, now that arrogant man was claiming her as his wife? She would not stand for such injustice. 

She fled from the deck, his ridiculous lie ringing in her ears and paced in the mess hall, which was empty of people but full of ladies' things. Since the captain had let several straggling British citizens aboard before he set sail, the mess hall had been converted into a temporary sleeping shelter for the extra women. 

She kicked a hat box across the room.

Lottie came through the door, smiling mischievously.

"What a handsome husband you have snagged yourself, Fidelia," Lottie said, tilting her head sweetly.

Fidelia gawked at her sister. "If I weren't so furious right now, I would scold you, you little scamp."

Lottie's grin widened. Fidelia turned away from her and rubbed her hand against her forehead. What was she going to do? Surely, no one would blame her if she threw that annoying Lord Greyville off the side of the ship, because at that moment, it was the only thing she could think of doing.

The door swung open again and Fidelia spun around, drawing her pistol to point it at the intruder. Lord Greyville held his hands up in a pacifying gesture as he entered the room. Mr. de Lacy was just behind him.

"Miss Atwell, allow me to explain—" William lunged forward mid-sentence and wrested the pistol from her hand before she could fire. Fidelia shouted in surprise, and tears of fury and exhaustion burned her eyes. Lord Greyville raised an eyebrow at her as he unloaded the gun while Mr. de Lacy closed the door behind them. "I apologize, but in your current state I feared you might shoot."