||24||

"Who are you?" I spoke up, they just kept approaching us, "stay away if you know what's good for you."

After creating a splint of ice, I shot it towards one of the people as a warning shot, expecting that they'd keep away from it, but instead they simply stepped in front of the split, allowing it to puncture his arm.

"You idiot," I glared before watching as the small slither of blood that escaped the wound, turned purple and engulfed him before turning into a giant ball of purple with a glowing red nerve in the middle.

"What is..." I trailed off before it started to explode, "Quick, Ayanakoji, get away!"

We both turned to move but the weird ball of purple exploded too quick and knocked us both off our feet. I gasped and winced from the impact before sitting up.

"Ayanakoji!" I shouted, looking for him to find him buried under a bunch of stones and rocks, "damnit."

I pushed myself to my feet and looked at my right arm to see it bleeding pretty bad.

"What the hell are these things?" I asked as I noticed the rest of the people in the form of the exploding balls, "jeez--"

I pushed myself forward and grabbed Ayanakoji before running as far forward as I could before finding myself being swept off my feet again. I rotated myself so I took the impact from the fall and created a thick dome of ice around us so we didn't catch the aftershock of such a large explosion.

"Are you OK, Ayanakoji?" I asked the child before sitting up and looking over him to see that he was injured. The ice cracked and crumbled down to the floor revealing a large scorched surface where the people were previously.

A splitting headache cut through my head as I started to heal Ayanakoji.

"I'm not going to be able to heal myself at this rate," I muttered. Once Ayanakoji's worst wounds were healed, I picked him up and sensed for a lake or a stream and then went into the direction.

°❄️°

"I need to get a fire started or we'll catch a cold out here," I sighed, staring over the flowing stream in front of me before pushing myself up off the floor.

When I began to walk, my cloak was caught and prevented me from moving. I looked over my shoulder to see Ayanakoji unconsciously holding onto my cloak as he slept.

"Please don't leave me, Mommy," he whispered through his sleep, small tears forming in the corner of his eyes. I sighed and looked around.

"Ice clone," I muttered, doing the ram, serpent, tiger handsigns. My clone appeared and smiled at Ayanakoji.

"Would you like me to get firewood?" she asked me, I nodded and she walked away as I sat back down but this time I pulled my cloak off and wrapped it around Ayanakoji then leaned against the tree behind us.

"Here's the firewood," my clone returned not long after and passed me the wood before melting away. I built up the fire and set it alight before staring up at the sky to see a familiar ink bird.

I quickly created a block of ice for the bird to reveal the information on. It squwarked and then charged head first into it revealing words.

'The leaf village was attacked by exploding humans. An investigation is underway so watch out. Injuring them triggers their explosion.'

"This information could've been useful earlier. As always, you're late Kakashi," I sighed before destroying the ice and leaning back again, "so they attacked the leaf as well, huh? Was it random? Or targeted? If so...why and who were were attacking? Me or..."

My eyes drifted down to Ayanakoji who was now using my lap as a cushion.

"No, why would anyone want to kill a war orphan?" I asked myself before noticing one of my bandages on my arms was stained with blood again, "time to change my bandages. Tomorrow we'll move as soon as the sun rises."

°❄️°

"Alright, come on, Ayanakoji," I grabbed my cloak and wrapped it around my shoulders again, "we can get to my village by noon if we don't bump into any more issues. If we come across those exploding humans, we run. Injuries trigger them."

"How'd you get that information so soon?" he asked before we both started walking again, well he walked, I limped.

"I got a message, my village had also been attacked by these people," I replied, "they singled out the weakness."

"Impressive," he nodded, "I bet it was Shikamaru. He sounds smart."

"It might have been anyone with eyes," I replied, "I noticed the same thing, but I needed that confirmation. And besides we need to get you a hair cut."

He stuck his tongue out at me before laughing.

"I think we should have you healed first," he told me before grabbing my hand, "thank you for looking after me...despite your own injuries."

"I did tell you I'd protect you, did I not?" I asked, he nodded and then started talking about random things like what he'd seen on his adventures, what his parents were like, what his village was like and a ton of other things. It was nice.

°❄️°

"You live in the leaf village?" Ayanakoji asked as we both looked to the closed gates of the leaf village.

"Yeah," I nodded, "why aren't the gates open? It's only noon?"

"y/n?" a voice called from the top of the gate, I looked up to see Kotetsu.

"Yeah, now open the gate you idiot!" I shouted back.

"Well hello to you too..." he mumbled just above the listening range before disappearing. The gates opened and myself and Ayanakoji walked in.