Chapter 4

I had spilled everything and after a very long time, my shoulders felt lighter. Arthur had always been a good listener, throughout the time, he listened silently. The only times I ever  received an indication of active listening was, when his jaw clenched and fists tightened, each time that happened, he would breathe to try and calm his anger.

"Why didn't you ever tell me, Eve?" He questioned, frustrated.

"I was afraid. I didn't want to lose any of you." I muttered silently.

"I was right there, right there. I could've stopped it. I could've done something, anything to help. Eve, I thought the pact was no secrets? Why, why didn't you come to us?" He rambled, his anger shooting up inch by inch. Watching him pace the room.

"Arthur, you know I had no choice. I was scared and alone. I didn't know what to do." Tired by the conversation.

"No. Eve, you cast us aside. You let that bastard take over you like you were an object. The Eve I grew up with was strong and independent. She wouldn't let any good for nothing boy get in the way of her friends and her." He replied.

"You know I was in love. I was stupid and young. How could I have ever known this is what would happen? You don't get to point fingers, Arthur. You liked him too, you never saw the signs too, did you?" Trying to turn the  attention away from me.

"From what it looks like, it was one sided, Eve. Love? That's not love, you were in love with the thought of him. You hardly knew the piece of shit, if this is how he is. Yes, I never saw the signs but I wasn't the one in love." He said spitefully. The blow hitting harder than it should.

"Get out." My voice turning cold, realising what he had said

"Eve, I'm sorry. I didn't realise-"

"I said get out, Arthur." Feeling any emotion left in my body leave.

"I'm so sorry. I was rambling, I didn't know-"

"I SAID GET OUT." I screamed. Hearing a knock on the door, watching dad peek his head in.

"Is everything okay? I heard screaming." Looking between the both of us.

"Nothing. Arthur, here, was just about to leave. Shut the door on your way out." I muttered. Looking away from the both of them.

"I'll wave from the other side, Ms. Squarepants." I heard Arthur say. It had been our thing, as kids, if we ever fought and couldn't make up instantly, our goodbyes would be just what he said.
Hearing the door shut on his way out.

"I'll wave from the other side, Mr. Grim." I whispered after he left. We had given each other these names. The first day he had stepped into kindergarten, he had worn all black, instantly reminding me of the grim reaper, in his explanation he wanted to look like his dad. My name was based on the obsession I had, of the vintage baggy pants. I was being bullied for it when he had stepped in to explain how Spongebob wore square pants and that made him cool, so I was cool too.

Feeling broken down from the day, I pulled out my journal, moving to the page I was looking for.

He strengthens me,
Yet, he weakens me.
He loves me,
Yet, he hurts me.
He fixes my broken pieces,
Yet, he breaks me.
He praises me,
Yet, he criticizes me.
And he apologizes,
He says, it's in his nature,
And each time I forgive him,
I lose a little piece of me.

*flashback*

"Hey, you'll do amazing. You've been preparing for weeks now." Luca whispered tucking my hair behind my ear as we stood in the busy hallway.