Chapter 1

The field was filled with flowers. Red, blue, white, orange, and yellow flowers filled my sight. I took a whiff of the air inhaling the scent of all the flowers around me. Thank the gods for this beautiful day.  I was sitting near the river bed waiting for the nymphs to reappear. They were my only company in this beautiful prison I called home.

       “Persephone” Dozens of tiny flittering voices greeted me.

          “Hello girls” I smiled. Laughs that sounded like the tinkling of bells resonated in my ears.

     “How are you?” Awuna asked.

       “I’m fine “ And still here…. I mentally added.

 “Did I tell you about the new sailors that are crossing over yet?” Awuna asked, laughing.

         “No”

 “A whole bunch of them Persephone! They’re all coming to Athens to see the oracle. They’re sailors…. Strong, handsome…..”

     “Oh god Awuna, have you ever met any of them?”

    “Me? Haven’t you known me forever my loyal friend? I dare ask why you would ask such a thing of me.”

    I laughed. I was trying hard to reign in my jealously. The nymphs could travel anywhere they wanted. They were free…. and I was still stuck here. In my ‘paradise’.  I wish I could travel as one of them. I couldn’t even bring myself to ask them to take me away anymore. I doubt they’d change their mind after years of begging. Not to mention my mother….

           “Persephone I must leave you. They’re crossing over again. You don’t mind do you?”

      “Of course not….. I’ll be here…. as always” I sighed. Awuna gave me a hopeless smile and a shrug before disappearing under the water.  I sat there for a minute after Awuna left. My jealously must have been coming off in waves because the grass around me were turning black. I waved my hand over them willing them to come back to their normal state. 

         I got up from my place and ran. I don’t know where I was running too. I was just running.

       “Persephone!!” A voice yelled in my head making me skid to a stop. “I’m coming!”

 My mom appeared in front of me. Her long flowing brown hair whisked around her angular face. Unlike her, my hair was black as night and my face was ….my face….wasn't exactly the prettiest thing to look at according to the nymphs. And when I told my mother she simply agreed with them.

        "you're simply not pretty dear. It's the truth a hard one"

        "Why are you so pretty then?'

        "You just weren't born with the looks dear.That's why. I go outside becasue I'm beautiful as all the gods and goddesses. That's why I keep you here. To keep mortals from seeing you face"

        That day hadn't been the greatest one in terms of the mother daughter relationship scale.

           “Where have you been, dear?” She asked me

  “I was talking with Awuna. I was wondering when you are going to let me go anywhere.”

 “Why would you ask that? Aren’t you content here?”

 “I….suppose I am….”

“Well then why ask?” She snapped at me.

 “I… sorry”

“I’ll be leaving. I’ll come back later dear”

“Goodbye”

She left disappearing in a smoke that smelled like freshly grown strawberries. Unlike her, I couldn’t magically portal myself anywhere. I stood there. I took another whiff of the air. Instead of the usual smell of flowers an unusual scent lingered. I turned around searching for the host of the smell. I followed my nose to a part of the field I thought I had memorized. A gorgeous pale white flower glowed with a moonlight tint in the midday sun in front of me. 

           I knelt down taking another sniff of the flower. Suddenly a loud crack echoed in my ears. I turned around. Arms wrapped around me taking me away from the light.

 This is my 4th story. I've always loved greek mythology and I did always like the story of Persephone so this is my twist in the tale